Is this normal?

Hi, so i had my diagnosis of Relapsing Remitting MS in October of 2015. After which my next relapse was in December 2015 with numbness of the left side of my face. After that I had mobility issues with my legs in the summer of 2016.

I’ve not had a relapse (that I’ve noticed) since. Is this normal? Was my diagnosis perhaps incorrect? Or am I just responding particularly well to the medication? I’m currently awaiting an MRI appointment in order to see if there’s been any change since last year.

Is this the case with anyone else? Just seems strange to have 2 relapses in a short space of time then such a large break.

Perfectly normal for you, what’s normal for one isn’t necessarily normal for another.

I spent the first ten years of my MS journey along the same lines.

Jan x

Hi

Are you on a disease modifying drug? You’ve said about responding to ‘medication’, does this mean a DMD? If it does, then yes, that is what they are designed to do, stop relapses. And supposing your DMD have an average relapse reduction rate of 50%, that’s on average. Which means some people will have a 30% reduction and others a 70% reduction.

Or as Jan says, there is no ‘normal’. It’s MS, it does whatever it wants, when it wants.

If you’re not on a DMD, you might find you’re walloped with a big old relapse just because you’ve teased chance by posting this. (I hope not!)

Sue

As has been said, there is no normal with MS. Your pattern sounds similar to mine. I seem to go several years between relapses. I haven’t had a significant one since 2016.

Hi Sue,

Yeah I’m on a DMD called Plegridy. I also do Intermittent Fasting which I’ve heard can help with symptoms/relapses as well. But yeah hopefully I don’t get hit with a big relapse lol.

Cheers for the reply :slight_smile:

So it sounds like Plegridy is doing its job. If you start to have relapses as time goes on, or if your upcoming MRI shows new lesions (which are possible even without relapses), then I’d just continue. And be happy that either your MS is being very well behaved, or the DMD is doing extremely well. Sue

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the replies. Hopefully it’ll be a long time before my next relapse