Irritability

Hello, I got diagnosed two weeks ago now and I’m curious if anyone else experiences what I am.
For almost a year now while all this has been going on , I’ve noticed that I’m very very very short with people, snappy, and find everything and everyone make me very irritated, even noises. For e.g my wife is eating a packet of crisp, when I’m chilling out on the sofa, the noise drives me absolutely mad and I feel like going mental. I have no patience what’s so ever, this has got worse over the last year, at first I thought it was all the stress of trying to getting answers, but it’s not. And I now have my diagnosis. Sometimes when my wife is speaking to me I just want her to shut up, this sounds awful but this is how I am now, I Almost feel like I’ve turned into a very angry, impatient nasty person.

1 Like

missaphonia buddy my wife has it :blush: drives her nuts …

Is this a symptom of ms?

Duno ricky ? I did have angry out bursts in the beginning. and had to say sorry to my wife . Think its a coping strategy tbh your body is taking a beating and every think is stressful at the moment … chin up buddy give your self a big hug and ya wife . Your coping in stressful times i thinks its normal …

Yup. I need to take myself away b4 I do or say sumat I later regret, been there done that; I try to mentally switch off if I can’t get away.

1 Like

When I was dx, nearly 25 years ago, the hospital did a session for us newcomers and a psychologist talked to us about the psychological impact of a life-changing dx like ours.

She drew a graph with an x and a y axis.

She drew a horizontal line, half way up the way up the y axis. That’s the level of background stress the average person can can deal with comfortably, she said.

Then she drew a jagged line, sometimes above the horizontal line, sometimes below it. That’s normal life being life, she said - a row with the boss, a restorative day. That’s life doing it’s thing, sometimes lovely and restorative, sometimes stressy.

Then she drew another horizontal line on the y axis, well below the first one. That’s your new stress capacity level, she said - that’s what having a chronic illness does to you - your stress capacity goes down.

She then drew our attention once more to that jagged ‘life being life’ line and - guess what? - MUCH more of everyday life events were now above our ability to deal with them comfortably.

In my experience, this has turned out to be very true.

Indirectly at least, yes. Please see my reply below.

Temper being frayed just like the myelin being frayed imho.

2 Likes

Yep. :smile:

1 Like

So true :laughing:

Oh the joys of ms

1 thing is for sure - I’m getting fed up with my eyes stinging and burning all the time. These eye drops don’t seem to do a dam thing. Just makes me wanna close my eyes and rest them. That’s only time there at ease:(

I get the burning and krusty eyes from my hyperthyroid Graves’ disease, eyedrops just make them sting even more; great another autoimmune More Schnitzel type joy.

BTW, I’m interested in how you reason that you can no longer put your snappiness down to the anxiety of uncertainty over your dx because that’s all done and dusted now. I would suggest that you have just swapped one type of uncertainty for a whole new type - the chronic uncertainty that comes with having MS. Uncertainty about health, ability/disability, finance, employment, relationships - absolutely everything. So do cut yourself a bit of slack there. You might be out of the pre-dx coppice, but only because you’re now deep and permanently in the MS woods. You’re asking a lot of yourself if you think that feeling irritated has just got less excusable.

3 Likes

I think I found that, for me, yes I can feel easily irritated for various reasons. I suppose the main one, particularly but not only when first diagnosed, is the sad fact that a diagnosis is an awful lot to take in. Before my diagnosis I was pretty happy, enjoying my job, had my own home etc etc. generally feeling good about myself and I suppose just assuming my life would continue as such. Suddenly all of that was thrown in the air, turned on its head and replaced with fear, uncertainty, doubts and the end of my positive ‘self image’. Before diagnosis my self image was of a generally attractive , relatively successful, fit and healthy guy. After diagnosis I saw myself in a wheelchair etc. It was an awful lot to adjust to plus - other than people with MS or another life changing conditions no one has the slightest idea what it’s like to receive a diagnosis. The rest of world carries on quite happily and a diagnosis can be a very lonely thing to deal with. Having to deal with external mundane things and day to day irritation can be the straw that breaks etc- just too much to deal with and incredibly annoying ‘ look I’ve got a life changing diagnosis! Don’t bother me with trivial stuff!’.

The other thing is that, as I understand it, MS can affect mental balance etc directly. Depression and anxiety is greater in the MS population than in the wider population.

17 years since diagnosis I’m not too bad - fairly happy and enjoying life I guess but I take a low dosage antidepressant ( Citalopram) just to make sure I stay like that. From time to time I’ve taken myself off to counselling just to work through things e.g a few years ago and within the space of a week my Dad died and I got really bad Covid during which I couldn’t walk for a while.

So , be kind to yourself and seek help if you need it. Personally, I think everyone with MS and similar deserves a medal and all the support they can get.

P.s I’ve just seen Alison100’s reply and yes as she kind of says ‘ cut yourself some slack’ it takes time and in fact the rest of your life to deal with the emotional impact of MS . Be kind to yourself

3 Likes