Inaccessible pizza

I was hoping to have a pizza in Soho tonight. I checked the website for Pizza Express in Dean St. Good news! They advertise ‘disabled access’ on their website. I rang just to make sure. Whoops! A four-inch step at the ‘disabled entrance’. My powerchair can’t negotiate a step this high. Very naughty to claim ‘disabled access’ on the website. I’ll be eating pizza somewhere else.

maybe they meant that the access has been disabled. A 4 inch step would be easy to trip over for those of us still on two legs (ok a bit of clumsy in there too)

Enjoy your pizza - I like mine cheese-free!!!

JBK x

Well I’ve tweeted about this and got an instant reponse from HQ and someone is going to contact me. Meanwhile I’ve found another branch with a ramp and an accessible toilet so my evening’s plans are intact.

I tried to make an appointment with a local dentist who advertised themselves as disabled accessible.

When I checked this on the phone they told me that there was a step and seemed surprised that my wheelchair wouldn’t cope. The alternative was to use a door at the back but the dentist would need to move his car first. I was supposed to ring when I got there and they would have him come out and move it. Not really all that good – what if he was in the middle of a procedure and it was raining? Not really my idea of accessible. Needless to say I didn’t make the appointment.

Jane

I’ve been contacted by Pizza Express HQ, they emailed me to say they were looking into it and would get back to me.

The Coptic St branch, near the British Museum, is fully accessible, I had a good time there last night. They had the ramp already in place for me when I arrived, and there’s a spacious accessible toilet (once they had removed the vast baby-changing crib-thingie which took up half the space). One comical moment: I had booked a table for two, I was the first to arrive, and as I approached the table, they took not one but BOTH chairs away!

When it comes to accessibility, things are generally changing for the better, but whenever I come up against absurdities like ‘Disabled Access available… 4-inch step…’ I will challenge them like a dog with a bone. The law is on our side, so it’s quite easy to rattle people and provoke change.

Any other stories of misleading advertising about accessibility?

Chris