I shake my head

Have a look at this photo please.

I was in a disabled toilet.

Steve

1 Like

Hah! I’ve come across this in a few loos. The other day in the oncology department is used the disabled loo. The assistance button was positioned at the same height as the light switch. I can assure you, if I fell to the floor, there is no way I’d be able to get near the button. There was an emergency pull cord though…neatly tied in a knot and placed above the top of the mirror!

1 Like

The last disabled toilet I went to. I needed a nose peg. Keep ranting Steve… I want an OGO wheelchair for my 48th birthday on Monday!!!

That’s funny but quite crappy!

I have discovered a new issue, how to get from the basin to the dryer in some places… I usually leave one crutch by the door and the other maybe against the basin or wall, nearer to the loo anyway. This usually works ok but where there’s three pace distance between the sink and the dryer, it’s real wobbly. However, Heston services station takes the biscuit - it has no real walls in their disabled loo, so scarily wobbly if you try to even touch a grab rail - it makes the whole wall rattle as it’s all plastic panelling. I can’t even imagine how scary a proposition that might be if you’re using a chair! Only plus point is I know where it is when I’m on the approach and when you know you’re gonna be sat in traffic, speed is usually of most importance

Sonia x

I agree with Terry , unfortunately I’ve been in a few smelly ones. I find I’m gagging nearly sick at the smell and sometimes poo yes poo smeared on the seat! Frazer doesn’t seem to care he likes bad smells. He usually has the look " come on mum , it’s just another wonderful scent " Michelle and Frazer xx

You can make out a vague reflection in the soap dispenser.

Disabled loos are a disgrace. And often it’s the ones in hospitals that are the worst particularly for wheelchair users:

• Squeezing in past a nappy bin.
  • Not being able to get in and shut the door because of said nappy bin.
  • Being unable to switch a light on or off. Or lock the door.
  • Having only one bar to push off to stand up from the loo. If you’re lucky.
  • Being unable to reach the flush lever from a wheelchair.
  • Being unable to reach a soap dispenser from a wheelchair.
  • Being unable to reach a paper towel.
  • Rubbish bins that you have to open with a foot pedal. Or your hand - very hygienic.
  • Rubbish on the floor. (Which you sometimes understand!)
  • Being unable to get out of the loo because the door is too heavy and weighted.
  • Being unable to see in the mirror (to be fair this is currently the same in my own bathroom!)

I frequently complain. But go back in the next time and it’s exactly the same.

Sue

1 Like

Life in a wheelchair: I rarely come across a disabled toilet that is usable. Those in Tunbridge Wells are a real challenge. Fenwicks is a challenge - displays are often too close to the lifts and I have run them over on occasion. Pembury hospital is difficult - the doors are so heavy I can not pull them open safely in the wheelchair and once inside the various bins make it impossible to turn the chair around to get back out and just how you are supposed to open a door with your back to it, I can’t figure out. Basically, it all just makes you more dependent on other people. Dignity? What is that?

I always try and get a wetroom in a hotel, but we’ve had some humdingers. Worst was a Hilton which at first sight looked quite swish. However when you sat on the loo, the loo roll dispenser was so far back you dislocated your right arm to reach it.

The handbasin, also on the right was so close, that when you leant forward, and if you had boobs, you were touching the sink!

Now the shower, very nice was over the other side of the room, only problem, no shelf to put bottles of shampoo etc and the entire floor marble tiles…slippery as buggery when wet.

They had a feed back form and I gave a 3 page epic…

1 Like

The wife and I stopped one pleasant afternoon at a country pub a couple of summers back for a pint, like most pubs nowadays, they are restaurants that also serve beer and so the food trade is a large part of their business. When she went to use the disabled toilet she had to move to move three highchairs (which were stored the disabled toilet) out of the way before she could actually get at the loo.

I emailed the pub when we got home and pointed out that for several reasons, (including other customers health), a disabled toilet was not a good place to store kids highchairs - no response of course.

Stopped at Membury services on the way back from nippers in Wales last Christmas - disabled toilet out of order - there was at least someone working on it - he showed both me and the wife into the ordinary ladies toilet - absolute waste of time, no chance of getting a wheelchair in the cubicle and closing the door.

I have to say, we seem to be very well looked after here in North Wales. The toilets have everything at ‘wheelchair eye level’. The reason being that holy hell was raised & the councils listened (really). Maybe an option? if we put up & shut up, nothing gets done? I admit it wasn’t a wide area, but if enough people complained, they may listen. We are supposedly not to be discriminated against? I can now comfortably go between towns & be accommodated, how I’d be further a field I don’t know, but a united front should be listened to surely xx

Ooh marble floors in the wet room of an adapted room. So so wrong, so common.

Sue