Hooray for me.
An important button had gone missing on my new coat. And I managed to find a non essential one from elsewhere on the coat and sew it to the essential place. It took a good long while. First I had to manage to retrieve my sewing box from the back of the wardrobe. Then I had to locate a suitableish colour of thread. Then find a needle threader, a needle and a pair of scissors.
Then came the 10 minutes it took to get the needle threader through the eye of the needle (for the challenged of hand / fingers, threading a needle with cotton is on a par with passing a camel through a needles eye; the needle threader makes at least the first job somewhat easier!) I had to then tie a knot in the end of the thread. Once upon a time, this was simple, nowadays it took another 10 minutes.
Then I was armed, button, coat, needle with needle threaded and end knotted, all ready for action. It then only took me another approx 20 minutes to painstakingly (literally, there are one or two tiny drops of blood on said coat but I doubt they’re obvious) sew the button to the coat.
I then had to return all items back into the sewing box and stuff it back in the wardrobe for the next time I have an hour or so and the energy level necessary to do such an arduous task!
In actual fact, I noted that the reel of thread I used today was bought to make a truly vile blouse as part of my needlework O level, for which I got an A. I went on to make loads of clothes, curtains, all sorts of things.
It’s a great shame my hands are as crappy as they are today, but at least I can sew on a button. Which is more than my able bodied husband can do. Hah!