i just need to speak

Hi all, I have been reading and reading this website and forums for the past few days and have now plucked up the courage to type a message ( I have a fear of sounding stupid).

i went to my GP’s last week as I have had enough of “silly” episodes as I described them but the doctor took them very serious and suspects MS. For the last few years I have had episodes of Not feeling great exhausted and had funny twitches etc.

Then over a year year ago my left eye hurt to move and had a block of blurred vision in it. I went to the opticians as thought the doctors would just say go there… the optitions described it as floaters even though they didn’t float or move ?!? The blurred vision last for a few weeks then went back to normal. A few months after then I lost sensation down the whole of my left torso I though it was strange and wondered if my bra had been to tight and decided to lose weight (which I did 2 stone) the sensation came back after a couple of months. Then a few weeks ago I started with a sensation of somdone poring hot water down my left leg which then stopped and turned into the leg feeling like it was burning like pressed up against a radiator !!! But the leg is not hot to touch the sensation is still there and has spread further up my leg and to my bum and I have lost sensation when going for a number 2 (embarrassing)… at the same time my opposite leg feels like a dead weight I can’t lift it very well and keep stumbling because of it if I’m not holding on to my 2 year olds pram I feel very unstable. I just feel like I’m dragging it around. Also I had a uterine prolapse over a year ago which they have pulled back into place with mess and a quite an extensive operation the hospital but it down to childbirth but I have had easy quick labours??? I read on line last night that a prolapse can be caused by MS. I’m starting to worry now that I’ve had this longer than I thought. Don’t really know why I have typed all this I just needed to put it somewhere the doctors referred me to a neuro Ive had a letter from them saying they are reviewing what they want to do with me and will write back ??? They haven’t even seen me???

Sorry for the short story xxxx

I think it is a good thing that you have seen your GP.

Your patience over these various ‘silly episodes’ so far might make the doctors’ investigation job easier: having a number of episodes (at least some of which might be related to each other) perhaps gives them more to go on for starters than a single event. Anything that makes it easier to get to the bottom of things is good.

I hope that you find get to see the neurologist soon and start that ball rolling.

Alison

1 Like

Hi Aaliyah

Not at all silly, many of your symptoms sound like mine - I’m not yet diagnosed with anything by the way - but my doctor took me seriously and it sounds like your GP is taking you seriously.

This forum has been such a help to me since all this started

x

2 Likes

Hi

No not silly at all.

Just bear in your mind though, that a GP cannot diagnose MS. Only a neurologist can and only then after conducting a number of tests, usually a physical neurological examination, plus an MRI and maybe a umbra puncture and / or a visual evoked potentials test.

So, it is a very good thing you have been to see your GP, and that they have taken you seriously and referred you to a neurologist. Hopefully you won’t be waiting too long for an appointment.

Meanwhile, it might help once you have an appointment with a neurologist, to have all your various episodes which could be relevant listed, with approximate dates and maybe how long various things have lasted. This will help when you go through the history with the neurologist.

Sue

1 Like

Thank you all for your responses … I was nervous to post but feel better seeing all your support. The last few days have been hard and my feeling unsteady not being able to lift my leg well and feeling exhausted has got worse( along with the numbness and burning). I don’t know what to do just ride it out until I hear from the hospital or go back to the GP as I have gone down hill since I saw her and she referred me? Anyway thank you all so much xxxxx

1 Like

Hi Aaliya, It’s daunting to post at first. Tyhose of us who’ve been diagnosed with MS really understand your worry.

You’ve described the symptoms well and a list of those, how long, when the came & went, will help the hospital consultant when you see him/her.

Please don’t ‘just ride it out’ as some files do go missing. The hospital letter seems odd as they’ve not seen you, so it’s worth phoning the hospital department and your gp’s secretary for reassurance.

Good luck x

2 Likes

Yep, you need to see a neuro in my opinion chuck!

The dragging leg thing is how a lot of folk with MS and HSP (me) experience mobility problems.

pollsx

1 Like

Waiting times for neorlogosist appointments tend to be very very long, where I live an urgent appointment is a bout 3 months ! If you have a great GP it might be worth a try to see if they can book you in for some of the tests the neorlogosist would need the results of to come to conclusions

Waiting times for neorlogosist appointments tend to be very very long, where I live an urgent appointment is a bout 3 months ! If you have a great GP it might be worth a try to see if they can book you in for some of the tests the neorlogosist would need the results of to come to conclusions