how much do you drink??

I drink wine (mostly), nearly every night. I take meds at around bed time, but I have decided not to let them rule my life, merely to help it. I don’t doubt that if I was saying this to my MS nurse, or to my doctor, they would have a different view. So I choose not to volunteer the information. But never to lie about it.

I think doctors and nurses are people too, and they’re not stupid, and know that people drink. Most doctors do themselves, and not a few smoke. Although they will always advise “caution”, I’m sure they realise lots of people with chronic health conditions do mix alcohol and meds. If there were any absolute contra-indications (the mix might prove fatal) there would be much more explicit warnings than there are.

I think the main thing is just to be careful. Most meds don’t interact toxically with alcohol, but might add to the effects. So the biggest risk is of having an accident, whilst more intoxicated than expected. I think, if you’re aware that drink might affect you more than in the past, part of that risk is already averted, because you’ll either drink less, or be extra careful, knowing you’re more affected.

It’s actually in my notes that I drink (not in terms of it being a problem, but simply as a statement of fact, like my age, and the fact I’m right-handed). So far, nobody has attempted to dissuade me.

Tina

A while back i was drinking a little too much and decided to cut back, in the last 4 weeks i have only had a couple of glasses of white wine in total when i’ve been out for meals etc. To be honest, i have felt better for it, alcohol made me very depressed the next day and am not missing it at all. I drank to get drunk and it didn’t mix with “my” MS, i do wish everyone well who gets a bit of relief from having a few drinks but alcohol ruins alot of lives and i’ve seen it at first hand. Us British seem to turn to drink quite a bit to alevaite our problems…

too much these days, lol, but why not enjoy yourself.

Good Evening Rose

I drink Whisky when I go out now, beer goes straight through me, my unsteadyness ( unsteadyness is that a real word) even when sobber adds extra expense in taxis fares. No need for guilt Girl.

David

I think it’s ok to drink in moderation and in smaller amounts it can be good for you. I must say that I am like Alison, I drink twice as much as I am prepared to admit to! Roger.

morning, I like a glass or two, mainly at weekends, however depending on how I feel I may have a glass in the week, but to be honest I really try just to stick to weekends, I don’t feel guilty, me and my hubby can’t go out socalising so this is our night out, CHEERS, take care, Jean x

I used to drink regularly, but after a very nasty fall, leaving a party, which caused two black eyes, swollen nose, split lips and broken tooth, I have manage to reduce my intake!!! :slight_smile: I still enjoy a drink but do feel better if I don’t, but 2 glasses of wine is usually enough. I tend to volunteer to be the driver now, it makes life easier. Don’t feel guilty for doing something you enjoy, MS takes away so many pleasures so the odd drink is not going hurt. XXXX

Hello, I avoid alcohol Mon to Thurs and then usually share a bottle of wine with my husband each weekend evening. I do find I have more disturbed nights’ sleep though - like Claire said earlier. I go to sleep more quickly but often wake up and can’t get back to sleep. So perhaps it is not too good for me. But it is one of life’s little pleasures, and as mentioned in a post on another subject, having recently revised what I eat with a view to eating more healthily, I feel l need a glass or 2 of wine even more now!

Gill