Hospital

As I write this I’m stuck in hospital with an infection for the last 6 days. The surgeon is talking about putting in a suprapubic cathater. Anyone have any experience on these cathaters? BE

Hello BE. I had a suprapubic (sp) catheter in years ago when I had a repair of prolapse womb. I had no problems at all with it but it was only in for about 10 days. Polls got one in but I think she goes to bed early…hopefully she will notice your message tomorrow and tell you her story. I’m sure there must be other people on here that also have a sp in. All the best to you

I’m bumping this…I hope lol. In the hope that some one can offer advice for BE

Should have said BE, sorry your stuck in hospital and hope your feeling better soon. Sorry I was distracted with your question about the catheter…I’m easily confused lol

Sorry you are in hospital and sorry I can’t help with the suprapubic catheter as I still self catheterise.

Hope it is not too miserable in there and that you will be home soon.

Take care.

Shazzie xx

(((( xxxx )))) No experience, sorry, just wanted to send hugs.

Hi BE Hope you feel better soon and your infection clears. I’m afraid I’ve no experience of suprapubic catheters (my spell check weirdly changed that to ‘cat haters’ which would be a whole new thread!) but hope someone who does will be along shortly. Best Wishes Jane xx

Hi, sorry to hear your in hospital. Is it a uti?

Yes, I and a few other members here, have suprapubic catheters (spc).

If you have one, will it be temporary?

I had mine put in in July. They do take a bit of getting used to.

It depends on your situation, how it suits each person.

I was having continuous utis for 6 months and 5 lots of anti-biotics didnt clear it!

I decided for myself to go for the spc. About 4 years ago, I had an in-dwelling catheter. That type goes up your vagina and into the bladder. I didn`t get on well with it and stuck it for 5 months.

My mobility is nil, and transfers to the loo were so dodgy! I had so many accidents and needed to go hourly! I also had retention and my bladder was chronically inflamed, the surgeon said.

I have a large tum and worried it might not drain well, but it does…fantastically actually!

Care has to be taken with hygiene. Plus I prefer to keep mine dressed, but it isnt necessary.

Hope this has helped you.

luv Pollyx

Hi, sorry to hear your in hospital. Is it a uti?

Yes, I and a few other members here, have suprapubic catheters (spc).

If you have one, will it be temporary?

I had mine put in in July. They do take a bit of getting used to.

It depends on your situation, how it suits each person.

I was having continuous utis for 6 months and 5 lots of anti-biotics didnt clear it!

I decided for myself to go for the spc. About 4 years ago, I had an in-dwelling catheter. That type goes up your vagina and into the bladder. I didn`t get on well with it and stuck it for 5 months.

My mobility is nil, and transfers to the loo were so dodgy! I had so many accidents and needed to go hourly! I also had retention and my bladder was chronically inflamed, the surgeon said.

I have a large tum and worried it might not drain well, but it does…fantastically actually!

Care has to be taken with hygiene. Plus I prefer to keep mine dressed, but it isnt necessary.

Hope this has helped you.

luv Pollyx

Sorry to hear you are in hospital and hope you’ll be out soon. I , like Polly have had a SPC in since April. After having gone down the route of self catheterisation (no longer an option because of mobility) then uretheral catheter the SPC was the next option. I suffered dreadfully with constant uti’s and touch wood I am infection free since the SPC! I have a valve fitted which means my bladder tells me when I need to empty, I just drain into a jug or bottle if out with no need to transfer to the loo. It has been a godsend for me. Feel free to pm me to ask any questions. Linda x

Hi,

I too have one and it has been pretty good! Certainly no more urgency, looking for loos frantically!

I too use a valve and it works really well. No more worrysome nights out either , i can go anywhere discreetly!

Prostate infection that keeps coming back has left me in hospital. The urologist said this should give my body time to heal. This is only been kept In for a few weeks. Short term I hope. Although It has its advantages. Not at moment though as you will see in other post ;( BE