Home exercise equipment

Mostly hit Id say some things like fake items you have to watch out for but Im absoutely sure no fakes of these, think of me at 12.30, I will be twisting away while watching loose Women, Ive never een a one for telly but having this rubbish and passing the time while exercising its handy!

Perhaps set a search alert for them on all the sites then they can let you know when they come up, I always message and make offers too, good luck XXX

I asked my neurophysiotherapist about an exercise bike, as I used to do a lot of cycling. But she thought that, since cycling is the worst form of exercise for causing “jelly legs”, a rowing machine would be much better for me. I still haven’t splashed out on any equipment, preferring Pilates, which is free and doesn’t take up house room when it’s not being used!

1 Like

re; cross trainer, i have a bike/cross trainer and use the cross trainer much much more than the bike because i prefere it both are effective ways to exercise muscles, i find it very intensive as opposed to floor based pilates/yoga exercises I bought mine from e bay from one of the shops selling new products it cost approx £60 and came flat packed regards adela

Exercise bikes are ideal for those with joint or back pain because the exercise is non-weight-bearing, and cross trainers are ideal for those looking for an intense cross-training program.

I’d go for a cross trainer as they do both your legs and your arms. Also you can put more effort into using your arms if you want to give your legs a rest, and then the other way around to rest your arms.

I bought a combination bike/cross trainer a few years back. It works quite well though isn’t the best for either.

I’ve got an exercise bike and a rowing machine. They’ll do the trick for your exercise. If all else fails they’re great for hanging clothes on!

1 Like

l thought swimming pools - although l expect it is only the council run ones - but disabled people go for free. So do enquire.

1 Like

l prefer the cross-trainer/eliptical trainer. lt works all the body - and holds you in a good upright position. A bike - you are not using your upper body.

Gym balls are also brilliant for core-strength. Just sit and gently rock - watch the tele on it - and you find you are working your pelvis and lower back without even thinking about it.

Therabands - another good aid.

I’ve been given a rather super 2nd hand treadmill but just looking at it terrifies the life out of me. I never use escalators or those moving walkways at airports because my brain seems to get ‘confused’ somehow. I have had MS for many years (aggravated by bowel cancer) and try to have a short walk outside every day using two hiking poles (never alone these days) BUT when pavements are wet and slippery I remain indoors and use just my little pedal machine whilst sitting down. My family and I thought a treadmill might help on inclement days so I don’t lose the abilities I still have. I have turned the machine on and studied it from a distance and my family have also taken it in turns to stand behind me but with their feet either side on the non moving bit so I get a feel for it and I even conquered my fear and tried it for 10 seconds before family member hit the STOP button for me. It was on the slowest setting of course BUT OMG it seemed Sooooooooo very fast and frightening. Should I persevere I wonder as life and MS and cancer and a knee replacement have taught me not to give up at the first hurdle so I really want to carry on but would be interested in the opinion of the forum. Thank you for wading through this.

Very informative thread.

Get an indoor exercise bike. You can do as much or as little depending how you feel. As you are sitting down you won`t lose your balance and even if you do you are holding onto handle bars to steady yourself.

I find I can cycle for long periods (without tiring) and it is good all round exercise. You can do it while watching TV or put your favourite tunes on.