Hobbies?

Used to really enjoy designing and making stuff ,from model kits to wardrobes. Cant use my machines any more so taught myself CAD and CAM , now design on the pc download it to my machines and they create my ideas at atouch of a button

I used to play loads of sports. Tennis, swimming, motor racing, tae kwon do, rugby, badminton, squash, water polo are all sports I’ve played competitively at one time or another. Plus gym, yoga, skiing, water skiing recreationally.

Now, I’m an avid watcher!

My magnus opus is to convert all our old family movies into mp4 format. Have you any idea how many different formats have existed for video? VHS, VHS-C, S-VHS, Betamax, Video8, Hi-8, DV, mini-DV to name but a few. And DVD. And Cine films. There’s a ticking bomb out there: whilst we can go to the loft and find 150 year old photos of our ancestors, there are countless “priceless” family archives locked inside the media used to capture them. Lots of people don’t even have DVD players any longer, let alone devices to play video tapes from long-obsolete formats. It can be done but needs a reasonable understanding of file formats, cables & connectors, players and converters. Some tapes could need running through 3 stages of conversion before they are in a ubiquitous .mp4 digital format.

So, is that a hobby or an obsession? Is there a difference?

I was solving puzzles. It is an extremely calming hobby. I like solving any kind of puzzle. My favorite ones are the jigsaw puzzles online and the traditional puzzles. I have a big collection of puzzles at home, and some people may say I am addicted to them, which is partially true. The biggest puzzle I have solved in my life was made of ten thousand pieces, and it was a photo of a sky. It was a present from my wife. I spent one month solving this puzzle, but I enjoyed the process and the effort I dedicated to solving it.

I enjoy going fishing and collecting playing cards