Hi guys, got a bit of a gross question here

Good afternoon guys.

well it took 4 days but there has been alot of movement, mostly very loose. I can only imagine it’s the Movicol doing it’s thing. In any case I don’t feel bloated and stupidly stiff anymore.

However

I think I was so happy at there actually being movement that I ended up pushing too hard and as a result about 3am last night I woke up with the left side of my large intestine so stiff it felt like a ball pushing against my ribs. It’s nowhere near as bad today but both sides are a bit stiff as if I’ve strained myself. I hope this is all it is because I’m sick of this stomach stuff now. Roll on tomorrow when I have the docs!

1 Like

Dave I am still in bed five days after getting home from kings hospital and exhausted from straining. I is awful to be so tired from trying. I really have to run my life around my bowels.

Hope the GP visit goes well.

Don

2 Likes

Don I hope you pick up soon x

Dave good luck with the gp visit. What works really well to keep you regular if the food ideas don’t appeal is a combination of senna and lactulose. They work in different ways but the combo is good. I found that movicol just blew me up like a very undignified balloon and my tummy hurt for a week, but the suggested meds are kind and controllable unlike some of the dynamite solutions some doctors prescribe.

Take care

Cath x

Have been through all the miseries described, and feel for you. These days I’ve battled to get myself into once a day regularity, sometimes having to wait 36 hours, occasionally 2 days.

My feeling is that to be regular you should try to be regular in everything especially the intake of laxatives. I used to do that thing where I would adjust the amount of laxative I used depending on how loose I was getting. Now I have fine tuned the input/output process and on the whole it works well:

A sachet and a half of Laxido each afternoon, and aim to go to the loo late afternoon, where I use a glycerin suppository to help things start. And don’t sit for too long, and resist the temptation to use a second suppository- it’ll catch me out several hours later, meaning I need to wear a pad in case. If nothing has happened after 35 minutes then it won’t happen.

And here’s the messy bit (sorry) if, when lubricating the target area for the suppository with lube, there is no sign of activity on the forefinger (rubber gloved, of course) then no-one is home and nothing is likely to happen!

you’re right, hospital does shatter whatever fragile regularity you may have achieved. I was stymied because for a long time they wouldn’t let me self administer a suppository.

By the way, the constituent drug in Movicol is macrogol, and that’s what is in Laxido. Less unpleasant than Movicol IMO.

The downside of my regime is that I spend most of the night and the following morning feeling unpleasantly bloated because I can’t ‘let rip’!

You couldn’t make all this stuff up, could you??

1 Like

Hi Hoppity, I’m sorry to hear you went into hospital, are you on the mend now? I certainly hope so.

It is exhausting, the GP went ok, he wasn’t the usual doc and to be totally honest it seemed like he didn’t know how to gage whether I was still blocked or not, he had a firm feel around my large intestine (pushing on my body, not bovine style!) and said he couldn’t feel anything so I’m hoping the reason I feel a bit tender still is because of the exam. I’ve stopped the Movicol and still not had a decent bowel movement but there is stuff coming out so I’m not going to panic yet especially as there is no tightness and very little discomfort since the big movement the other day, I’ve eaten very little so that might explain it too.

The plan is to take senna at night and 2 Movicol, one morning, one before bed :slight_smile:

Again I sincerely hope you feel better soon!

Hi Cath, I explained how it went on Don’s reply :slight_smile: I will try Senna and Lactulose again, I was prescribed it when I was blocked in January, along with chewing my food and not eating like a duck >.<

Movicol bloats me too, the doc wouldn’t prescribe picolax because it’s very hardcore (again something I had in Jan) but I may bypass that and buy some in case of emergency, it’s not fair that I waste peoples time by constantly going to a&e.

Dave xx

Hi Kev, that’s quite a regime! This MS is an adventure I’m struggling to want to carry on with haha, It’s a horrendous feeling being bloated and uncomfortable when you need to go but it won’t come out, I’m praying the Mov did it’s job and that most of it is out but we’ll soon find out, I was given these suppositories that feel like wax and is white, I can’t remember the name but they worked when I had the big movement.

You’re a trooper for drinking laxido, I can’t stomach the smell OR taste of it, it took 4 days to get used to the Movicol, my wind pattern has changed too, as someone who was quite loud and proud to only being able to pass wind every few hours is unnerving, just want this stomach to sort itself out, it’s very selfish

Like Pam I take my laxatives regularly now and have got into a pattern but it took a while to get comfortable. It feels at the moment that your life is being ruled by your bowels I’m sure, but hang in there. As you have probably noticed by the amount of feedback you’ve received that most of us have suffered at times. Like the rest of your symptoms you’ll learn to notice the signs early and treat with whatever method you find suits you. We’ve all only tried to help with suggestions we’ve had results with but unfortunately you’ll only find your solution with time and patience.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cath x

Morning Cath Trust me yours and everyone’s suggestions have been a mountain of help. I’ve taken it all on board. Fortunately I decided to take a suppository after waking up and had a fair bm. so it is getting there, the intestines no longer hurt either. But thanks again. I’m so glad I found this place and you all just over a year ago. Not sure how big of a wreck I’d be if I hadn’t xx

2 Likes

I know this is an old post but can I ask what suppositories you had… I’m on day 4 of a movicol equvilant 8 a day combined with bisacodyl … the movicol challenge my nurse calls it . Also had picolax … nothing only water … and a very noisy stomach… I think the lump in my stomach has moved a bit but in wrong direction ! Sick of it now just don’t know how long to leave it before calling bowel nurse again …

Thanks in advance

Male 96 - diagnosed Prostate Cancer August 2012. Prescribed 150 mg Bicalutamide HOrmone medication. Over a period of time PSA dropped from 55 to about 1. Side effects very bad constipation - prescribed Macrogol - 1 each night. Generally worked though not every day. Recently following morning after taking 1 Macrogol went 3 times & decided to miss Macrogol the next night. Following day actually went 3 times even though I haven’t taken a Macrogol. Missed the Macrogol 3 nights & have been the following mornings. I suppose I should feel highly delighted but it seems strange. Is this any need for worry OR am I just lucky? Any suggestions please?

I don’t know if it’s the norm or not. I use Macrogol one per night till i start to go two or three times a day, I then miss a couple of nights till I don’t go, then take it for three or four nights till I’m going two or three times a day again. I’ve tried using half a sachet but this isn’t enough so for me so back on the merry go round.

Jan x

I am given senna tablets by gp to no affect,so I’ve started to take a dulcolax tablet once or twice a week which work.

This is a very old thread so a lot of people might not see your comment… maybe start a new thread x