Headache after LP

Looking for other people’s experiences please?

Had a LP on Thursday morning, which went very well I have to say. Home and not feeling too bad later in the day.

Following morning whilst having brekkie I started with a headache that just won’t quit. I’m fine if I lie down but sitting and/or standing makes it worse. I know this kind of headache is common following LP…what i’m looking to find out is how long this might last. If anyone has any input (particularly if it’s to say it’ll go and never come back any minute now) i’d be grateful.

i’m keeping myself hydrated and i’m eating as normally as possible. I’ve been trying to drink more caffeine than usual - i’m not really a coffee or coke kind of person. Is there anything else I can do to stop this???

Hopefully

Juls

Hi Juls

I think the headache is quite a common side effect from a LP, I certainly had one. My neuro told me it should go in 3-4 days and mine did but if it persisted for longer to take medical advice.

I put a warm flannel on my forehead and one of those wheat bags, the type you warm up in the microwave, on my neck. It certainly eased the headache.

I hope it disappears soon and you feel better. All the best xx

1 Like

Hi Juls,i had same prob with LP. I think it’s as individual as MS,the doc who done mine said a week at most or not at all and anywhere in between. Laying down flat helps for sure but soz that’s about all i know too.

Hi oh dear poor you. I never had the headache thank goodness i was expecting it but the guy who did my procedure told me just to rest which i did.

Weirdly enough and coincidentally perhaps its the extra caffeine that is causing the headaches?

Why extra caffeine?

I hope it resolves itself nothing worse then a headache. Sending you big hugs. Rosie.

Hi,

The actual procedure is not painful; in fact the only thing you feel is a scratch when the anaesthetic goes in. The actual removal of fluid is just a feeling of pressure if done properly. I must stress if done properly; do not let anyone practice on you insist on someone who is experienced.

It’s after you MAY get something called ‘the headache from hell.’ To cut down the chances of getting this you should lay flat for at least 3 hours do not even get up to go to the loo; use a pan. Drink at least 2 litres of classic Coke, not diet; it’s the caffeine that aids replenishment of your CNS fluid. Being your drinking a lot take one of those bendy straws otherwise the bed will get more Coke than you. If you want a change of drink very strong coffee.

These things will drastically reduce your chances of getting a headache that could last about 8 days. If you have a couple of days off work and rest if you do not get the headache, if you do 10 days off work.

If the headache last more than 10 days you could need a blood patch; especially if there’s a wet patch on the bed in the area of the spine after a nights sleep; this is rare.

Good luck.

George

I had the headache and was advised to lie flat on my back for 48 hours, to drink through a straw (which you can sort of do whilst lieing down) and only get up to go to the loo. Like you it was a day or two later that it started. I followed this advice and by the end of the 48 hours it had gone. I still felt a little fragile but the headache from hell had gone. It’s a boring 48 hours and obviously can only be done if you haven’t other responsibilities but it did work for me!

Good Luck,

Sarah x