GERD - Burping

Hi,

My Grandad (who has MS) has recently lost my Nan, who was his main carer, and since then he has been struggling emotionally and appears more frail.

The presenting problem currently is burping, which is almost constant, and the stress this causes him. Has anyone else experienced this and if you have what helped you?

We have worked with the GP for years about it but has recently got worse.

Thank you in advance

Hi Ebony, I am sorry your granddad has lost his other half. Must be unbelievably painful to lose a long time partner.

I wonder if his burping is acid reflux? I take lansoprazole for this and it works well.

Boudsx

Ms. Ebony, the acid reflux is one of the most horrible things that screws up everything else in your gastrointestinal system. It irritates your throat, makes you cough incessantly. It is nasty.

Ms. Boudica suggestion is probably the same as mine. I find omeprazole, Prilosec and other generics would probably help him. If it is just burping, he is possibly beginning to had acid reflux. Check with a nurse or doctor about possibly starting him on a low dose. I have had this most of my life and have developed Barrett’s Espohagus, which is extreme scaring in the throat and gastro tract. I have to be very careful regarding what I eat.

If he starts to get acid reflux, give him a bit of pastry, lightly toasted soft bread or similar food and some liquid to help it go down. He will still have an irritated throat that might result in heavy coughing, which could start the cycle over. This is very serious, so pay attention and get professional advice on how to help him.

Always, Jim

Your Granddad needs medications to control his GERD. It is very painful. I have had it much of my life (74). It develops stomach pain, burns of your throat (I have Barratt’s Esophagus ) Cut out his spicy food, feed him his evening meal between 4:00 PM, or earlier and no later than 6:00 PM. Meds: Priosec, and any doctors script for similar meds. Good luck, Jim

How lovely that Ebony Grace has taken time to seek help for her recently bereaved grandfather.

As we’ve not heard from her through this thread, since her post on September 29th, I assume his GP has, after many years, supplied Omeprazole or similar.

If granddad relied heavily upon his wife, perhaps he now lives in a Nursing Home and will receive 24/7 care. The GP appears lax in his patient care to not recognise this common symptom within M.S

I hope Ebony Grace updates the site soon.