Gadgets what's best for you!

When the time came to finally depart from my job, my work mates bought me an IPad as they felt it would benefit me and my sight issues. I can safely say it’s one of the most important things in my life as the accessibility options are amazing. I use it for books, watching sky sport and browsing the web when I am in bed. I have also transferred my mobile to an IPhone for the same reasons… What gadgets do others use and why? Also how do they make your life easier/manageable? By the way this is not an apple advert it’s just what suits me best. Strudders

Electronic dictionary, got it a few years ago when cognative probs really started to be noticeable… couldn’t spell words, couldn’t remember what they meant. It is great. When (and if funds allow) I replace my laptop I’ll go for an apple. A friend has one and it’s so easy to use

Verona wrote:

Electronic dictionary, got it a few years ago when cognative probs really started to be noticeable… couldn’t spell words, couldn’t remember what they meant. It is great. When (and if funds allow) I replace my laptop I’ll go for an apple. A friend has one and it’s so easy to use

That’s on of the reasons I use my phone so much is that my spelling is appalling and it has a great in built spell checker. I also use google to check words, spelling and then copy them into my posts etc… My daughter has a Mac book which she says is the bee’s knee’s and would not go back to a windows based system ever again. However the touch screen on my IPad is just so easy to use. I downloaded scrabble the other day for 59p during a sale and spend quite a lot of pre sleep playing that. I have a local service for the blind called 4sight and they have all sorts of gizmo’s and gadgets but they are so expensive to buy.

Yes, I’d love an iPhone or equivalent but that’s on the wish list too V

iPhone and laptop for me plus Outlook so my diary (and reminders!!!) are synced - in combination they are now effectively my memory :frowning: The only problem is remembering to actually put things in one or the other!!! (Missed a neuro appointment last week :() Karen x

rizzo27 wrote:

iPhone and laptop for me plus Outlook so my diary (and reminders!!!) are synced - in combination they are now effectively my memory :frowning: The only problem is remembering to actually put things in one or the other!!! (Missed a neuro appointment last week :() Karen x

LoL my MS nurse when she visits now does not leave until I have put the the next visit in my phone and written it in “she who is to be obeyed” diary… To many times I have forgotten or missed appointments or my nurse has turned up and I was not expecting her. Also we did get an HD tv not long after my sight went as it was just manageable to view things. However my sight has continued it’s downward spiral and unless I am nose to nose with the telly can’t see it very well. So that’s when the iPad comes in and I can get up close with it.

Would you believe my veg peeler - I must be very boring. All my gadgets in the kitchen, from slow cooker, special handled pans, non slip boards, easy to use kettle which pours measured boiling water, oh and wetroom bathroom are the best things since sliced bread. Lastly my laptop cos I can stay in touch with fellow mseres :smiley: bren xx

What generous colleagues! Either that, or there were a great many of them, so they didn’t have to contribute very much each. I like my iPad, but don’t use it very much for “traditional” computing, like e-mail or posting on forums, as I don’t particularly like the editor. I do use it a lot for watching TV or listening to streaming radio in bed! Like a lot of people, I find my symptoms tend to be worse in bed at night, so I find it helpful to have some kind of distraction. I used to have to make do with whatever was on the World Service (sometimes good, sometimes not so good), but now I’ve got the iPlayer working on the iPad, I can choose any drama or reading that’s been on recently, and needn’t lie there listening to the latest tally of deaths from war, famine and disasters - which is hardly conducive to a good night’s sleep!

Someone on Jooly’s joint posted this which may be to help Easi twist jar opener http://wackypracticals.com/easi-twist-jar-opener I love my potato peeler too :smiley: by Bodum… the people eho make the coffee cafetiere :? V

Lol it was very generous colleagues! And Bren the peeler sounds awesome! I love kitchen stuff I have an amazing garlic press and a really small chopping machine as I do like to cook still. However my kitchen is dotted with dayglow spots as I tend to forget or not quite turn off things. My ROVI gave me them and they are brilliant!

I love my I phone for setting alarms and reminders, my I pad for playing games on touch screen. Best of all though is my mini chopper/ blender/ liquidiser which all use the same power unit. Now I can chop an onion without wasting half of it or watching it bounce across the floor several times but can still make cakes etc with same gadget. I also have a gadget which opens jars and bottles and it is a godsend when I have to open a bleach bottle. Am I also allowed to mention my son because if he is around I just hand jars or bottles to him!! Tracey

elmo wrote:

I love my I phone for setting alarms and reminders, my I pad for playing games on touch screen. Best of all though is my mini chopper/ blender/ liquidiser which all use the same power unit. Now I can chop an onion without wasting half of it or watching it bounce across the floor several times but can still make cakes etc with same gadget. I also have a gadget which opens jars and bottles and it is a godsend when I have to open a bleach bottle. Am I also allowed to mention my son because if he is around I just hand jars or bottles to him!! Tracey

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sons are the best gadgets ever :smiley: , when they’re around! What type of mini chopper do you have? I have a very old, large processor which I am thinking of replacing with something smaller V

Verona wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sons are the best gadgets ever :smiley: , when they’re around! What type of mini chopper do you have? I have a very old, large processor which I am thinking of replacing with something smaller V

Please don’t laugh, I bought it from QVC (yes, the shopping channel, how sad :? ). It’s called a Ninja chopper and I was channel hopping for a laugh one day when I was bored when I came across a demonstration of this little gadget. The power unit goes on top of the bowl, they all have non slip ‘feet’ and soft touch handles on the bowls. It has a 500w power unit which seems sufficient for mixing most things so far. Obviously I have to roughly chop veg first but, in the case of the onion, I only have to quarter it which I can manage, then the Ninja does the fine chopping and in seconds I have perfectly chopped onion. It only has blades so doesn’t do slicing or grating but I don’t need this functions anyway. All that for less than £50 so I went online at qvcuk.co.uk and bought one. So I channel hopped for a laugh and spent money with them, who had the last laugh :roll: It fits in one of my tiny kitchen cupboards and has been in constant use so I am pleased with it. Let men have their power tools; I love my kitchen gadgets :lol: Tracey

elmo wrote:

Verona wrote:

Please don’t laugh, I bought it from QVC (yes, the shopping channel, how sad :? ). It’s called a Ninja chopper and I was channel hopping for a laugh one day when I was bored when I came across a demonstration of this little gadget. The power unit goes on top of the bowl, they all have non slip ‘feet’ and soft touch handles on the bowls. It has a 500w power unit which seems sufficient for mixing most things so far. Obviously I have to roughly chop veg first but, in the case of the onion, I only have to quarter it which I can manage, then the Ninja does the fine chopping and in seconds I have perfectly chopped onion. It only has blades so doesn’t do slicing or grating but I don’t need this functions anyway. All that for less than £50 so I went online at qvcuk.co.uk and bought one. So I channel hopped for a laugh and spent money with them, who had the last laugh :roll: It fits in one of my tiny kitchen cupboards and has been in constant use so I am pleased with it. Let men have their power tools; I love my kitchen gadgets :lol: Tracey

Have bought the odd item from QVC myself :wink: Think I might give the Ninja a go, is it any good for making breadcrumbs? V

Verona wrote:

Have bought the odd item from QVC myself Think I might give the Ninja a go, is it any good for making breadcrumbs? V

Yes, I cut the bread into large cubes, popped it into the mini chopper and in seconds I had perfect breadcrumbs. I have made a lemon and almond tart with breadcrumbs and stuffed mushrooms have been on the menu quite a few times since I have had this gadget. Can you tell that I love it? :geek: :idea: Perhaps QVC could give me a job? Only problem is I’m not sure I could be quite so enthusiastic about some of the sillier stuff they sell or the diamonique jewellery! Tracey

elmo wrote:

Verona wrote:

Have bought the odd item from QVC myself Think I might give the Ninja a go, is it any good for making breadcrumbs? V

Yes, I cut the bread into large cubes, popped it into the mini chopper and in seconds I had perfect breadcrumbs. I have made a lemon and almond tart with breadcrumbs and stuffed mushrooms have been on the menu quite a few times since I have had this gadget. Can you tell that I love it? :geek: :idea: Perhaps QVC could give me a job? Only problem is I’m not sure I could be quite so enthusiastic about some of the sillier stuff they sell or the diamonique jewellery! Tracey

Thanks for that… I have some of their jewellery :frowning: not diamonique though :slight_smile: Might order one, but it is cheaper elsewhere so that should leave me with some money to buy somemore jewellery. :lol: … Not! V

My long arm ‘grabber’ I’d be lost with out it. Lynne xx :roll:

Verona wrote:

Thanks for that… I have some of their jewellery :frowning: not diamonique though :slight_smile: Might order one, but it is cheaper elsewhere so that should leave me with some money to buy somemore jewellery. :lol: … Not! V

Yes, I did notice it on Amazon after I had bought it but at least on QVC you can view the demonstration first then buy elsewhere :smiley: Tracey

kn1ghtleigh wrote:

My iphone has been a godsend -my whole life is stored on it (would be lost without it). My lovely OH bought me an ipad last christmas as my netbook is becoming harder for me to operate. Battery operated peeler - can’t peel a potato for toffee without it. I’ve also got a kettle tipper as I can’t lift a kettle - I’m grouchy without a cuppa. I also have a laundry basket on wheels (courtesy of my mum) which means I can hang the washing out - well when its not raining.

Oooooooooo I am interested in your battery powered peeler!!! That sounds brilliant! One other thing that is now essential for me and also is epic in the mornings, my teasmaid! I was diagnosed with swallowing dysfunction a few weeks ago and what helps clear the back of my throat in the morning from something called (horrible term) nasal drip! :oops: is a cup of tea!!! so my wife sourced a tea’s maid from the catalogue and it set me up for the day!

I have that ‘easy opener’ and have NEVER managed to open anything with it, takes too much strength to hold and turn, plus it’s too big…it will be in a charity shop v.soon! I’ll stick to the knocking the edge of lid on the worktop to break the seal and if that fails just eat/use something I can open! mini choppers on the other hand brilliant, I have an attachment that goes on a stick blender, well that’s how I remember it (may be the stick blender that’s the attachment!) whichever it is. it is an excellent bit of kit, Braun (I think)…you’ll be thinking I’ve got a terrible memory lol! bought it in Cyprus years ago, had to bring a couple back for people as they weren’t paricularly common at the time. I’m a big fan of gadgets that make household chores easier, wouldn’t be w/o Shark steam mop, Karcher window vac and just bought an electric scrubbing brush - these items are proving a huge success with hubby as most of the cleaning is now down to him! Also have a Polti for bigger steaming jobs, that will be getting a lot of use soon, stripping wallpaper!

Alison x