Furious!

Just spoken to my ms nurse about the prescription charge I had been sent for my rebif and she has basically said they are at liberty to charge “some” people!! And i will have to pay it. Need to call them! Sooooooo mad! :frowning:

That’s TERRIBLE! How on earth can they do that!!! Please make a HUGE fuss - contact your MP, the MSS, the papers. The NHS cannot apply charges to “some” people and not to others based on medical criteria alone - and that’s all they know about you surely? I’m on Rebif and I’ve never been charged - and I’m not eligible for free prescriptions! Absolutely gobsmacked!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Karen x

Oh this is awful for you? Do you have the medication delivered to your home? Hubby used to be exempt from charges for his home delivered meds, before he went 60. luv Pollx

But it’s thousands and thousands of pounds, isn’t it? Best part of £10k a year. Are they seriously expecting you to pay for it yourself? I have never, never, come across such a thing before. There must surely be some misunderstanding - I’m SURE this can’t be the real position - don’t panic, I’m still sure it will be OK. Alison x

What!!?? :shock: No this cannot be right, to charge “some” people is discrimination and in your case disabiity discrimination and surely illegal :!: Have you contacted your GP and Neuro?? For good measure contact your MP and the press too. Try not to panic and please let us know how you get on. xx

kelly2424 wrote:

Just spoken to my ms nurse about the prescription charge I had been sent for my rebif and she has basically said they are at liberty to charge “some” people!! And i will have to pay it. Need to call them! Sooooooo mad! :frowning:

If you normally pay £7.40 per prescription item there is no reason why your prescription for Rebif would be any different. If you are exempt from prescription charges let them know and you will not be liable. Liz

:oops: Thanks Liz I got hold of the wrong end of the stick there and assumed it was the meds being charged for and not the prescription charge only. I’m a silly cow sometimes. :lol:

That super sucks big time! If nothing else have you got a prepayment certigficate for your prescriptions - with all the drugs my gp doles out for me I find them invaluable as at over £7 a pop nowadays the cost soon mounts up. The current rate is £104/year and you can spread the cost with direct debit. Worth getting your socks off and using them to do the maths to see if you could save oodles of £!. Clarexxx

Is Rebif approved by NICE for prescription on the NHS? Who prescribed the drugs for you, and was it on the NHS or privately? If on the NHS, then all you should have to pay is the prescription charge (if living in England and not exempt due to low income) As others have mentioned, if you have to pay prescription charges you can get a prepayment certificate for just over £100 per year, and spread the cost by paying a monthly direct debit. I just cannot believe that you should have to pay thousands of pounds for drugs prescribed on the NHS due to some random criteria, and that your MS nurse is talking a load of rubbish. Other people here have said that they get their Rebif for free, so why shouldn’t you? Could I suggest that you call the MS Society or MS Trust helpine? You may be able to get independent and confidential advice, which would quickly set your mind at rest.

Hey everyone. Well I think i have finally got this all cleared up although I am still really confused. I contacted the drugs company and they have told me its a charge for the Rebif and that the prescriptions can last different amounts of time so may not be that I have to pay every month. The paperwork they sent out in the first place was most un clear hence my panic.