Fuel Poverty

Good Evening One And All.

I was moaning about the cost of keeping warm to a mate today and he told me about Warm Home Discount that he had got for his parents. It is a for people that are elderly or disabled and that would have problems keeping warm this winter.So gave my suppliers a ring[scotish gas] answerd a few questions and low and behold £120 credit on my next bill.A lot of suppliers offer this but not a lot of people know about it.

So will now turn my heating up a bit.

I think i could do with a pint now so if the bar is open i would love a pint of the black stuff.

Take Care All.

Chris

Hi Chris

This sounds good but it’s not quite as simple as you make it sound with different suppliers !

I’m with Scottish and Southern and enquired about this scheme. They sent me forms which seemed to indicate that, as I have no young children and am not receiving Pension Credits, I would be unlikely to get it.

I have pre-payment meters for both gas and electricity, so I pay in advance for my energy, but there are no discount schemes to help me keep warm !

I would like to know why pensioners are eligible for this scheme as they already get a lump sum to help them with fuel costs (whether they need it or not !)

Doesn’t seem very fair to me !

Seb

[quote=seb1901]

Hi Chris

This sounds good but it’s not quite as simple as you make it sound with different suppliers !

I’m with Scottish and Southern and enquired about this scheme. They sent me forms which seemed to indicate that, as I have no young children and am not receiving Pension Credits, I would be unlikely to get it.

I have pre-payment meters for both gas and electricity, so I pay in advance for my energy, but there are no discount schemes to help me keep warm !

I would like to know why pensioners are eligible for this scheme as they already get a lump sum to help them with fuel costs (whether they need it or not !)

Doesn’t seem very fair to me !

Seb

Hi Seb.

I am sorry you did not get anything of your bill.

All i can tell you is it was easy for me.

You will just have to put on another sweater.[joke]

You are right about OAP getting help with fuel costs,so i have no idea how they get around it.

Take Care Friend.

Chris.

Ps have you tried switching suppliers.

Pps at least you support a good team.

many thanks for this info.

i got in contact with british gas and was sorted out in 5 mins.

Where did you get the idea that pensioners get winter fuel allowance, over and above the £100.00, per person.

My state pension is just £133.00 per week, there is no pension credits or any other extra payments to be had.

The above has to cover all living costs, food, heat/light, council tax, water charges (highest in the country), property maintenance, clothing and any other miscellaneous costs.

Its just the public sector workers, that get enhanced pensions, now they are to go on strike, because they will have to pay a little more towards their pension, plus maybe work to sixty five poor dears. My message, to them, welcome to the real world, its tough out here.

Rant over.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

I know its going to be a bad day when I get out of bed and miss the floor, today is such a day.