Flooring

Morning all. Here’s a weird thing…there’s a covered shopping mall near me (Brent X if anyone knows north west London). When I go there I experience a strange sensation in my feet - as though I have magnets on the soles of my feet and there are matching magnets in the flooring so walking is difficult as the magnets are making touch with one another. It’s not so bad inside the stores, but tricky on the main concourse area.

I don’t really like shopping, but I had to go there briefly yesterday and kept the visit very short, but I did wonder again why this is. I think that the overall environment of the noise/people/lighting probably has something to do with it.

My mother lives in a care home where there is wood flooring . I have a similar problem there and have to be really careful as my feet ‘stick’ and one time I fell flat on my face. Sadly it’s a dementia floor and I don’t think any of the residents noticed, though a couple of carers rushed up as my husband and son helped me get up.

I do have dropped foot and I’m waiting for a physio referral.

Never had all this pre-MS diagnosis.

Anyone else?

x

Its time you took those price labels off the soles of your shoes! Theyre sticky you know!

And what on earth is a dementia floor?

I am baffled!

I have noticed that on some floors, like clinics, my wheeles make a louder noise!

pollsx

Safety flooring I would have thought. Whether it be non slip or cushioned.

I think Lou means that floor in the building is a Dementia Ward type of thing - floor as in ground floor, or 2nd floor, so the residents themselves failed to notice her accident. Of course I could be wrong!!

1 Like

i get a strange sensation in the trafford centre. the lighting plays tricks on me and the floor is sparkly. add to that the volume of people including lots of rug rats and it ain’t a happy experience. then all the ‘needy’ people who NEED those trainers, manalo blahniks and other pricy stuff and i just get vexed. grumpy old carole x

That is how I read it too.

Sue

hiya

look at becoming dementia friend. i attended this training a few months ago-very worthwhile.

folk with dementia often misread situation e.g a dark mat just in a doorway way look like a puddle/pool of water so maybe the home is designed with these issues in mind?

ellie

1 Like

Silly question but does this “sticking” happen with the same shoes.

I have a pair of trainers that “stick” to the flooring in our hallway, but it doesn’t happen anywhere else.

It feels exactly as you describe, a magnetic hold that you can feel as you raise your feet.

My goodness, I didn’t half express myself badly with my original posting! Yes, AngC is correct, the dementia floor is in fact for the residents who have dementia. Getting dementia used to be one of my biggest fears but then I was dxd with MS, which took my mind off that a bit. Now I wonder if I’ll end up as an MSer with dementia…However it’s very sad visiting my mother.

Jactac, the sticking happens with different pairs of shoes. Magnetic force…

I wonder whether anyone has kept a list of all the different sensations/experiences of MS. It would run into the high hundreds I should think.

I do recall one of my very first symptoms was like a feeling of sliding or slipping on ice, but only my left foot.

It was like I would be walking along fine then all of a sudden my left foot would feel like I had slipped on ice or a banana skin, yet I wouldn’t of, I would be just standing still !

This happened frequently but eased off after a few months and hasnt happened again for a long time.

My left foot was the first thing to go!

My Left Foot…Daniel Day Lewis got an Oscar for that!

What did I get?

A wheelchair!

Sorry, that was uncalled for!

Pollsx

1 Like

uncalled for or not, you made me smile Mick

I’ve never experienced this but one of the ladies that attends my local MS Therapy Centre also can’t walk at the Trafford Centre!! She seems to be fine until she gets through the door and then her feet stick. Weird huh! lol

Probably because my left foot regularly takes the pi$$ or tries to kill me, so I am constantly on the look out for stuff to smile at.

Mick