first relapse since dx??

Afternoon everyone! I am just looking for some advice please…I was dx in feb after suffering from ON in Dec then sensory probs with my right arm. I woke up this morning to find my right eye is painful (same eye as before)…just like it was at the beginning of the first time I had ON. I am rather worried as I don’t want my sight to get any worse but am unsure of who i should contact. Should I go to opticians to see if the nerve is swollen again or just call MS nurse now…really don’t wanna cause a fuss, especially as they will prob say that just have to deal with it and should get better in a month or so…(great…that’s most of my summer holiday’s!!) but then again I may need steriods? What do you think!!! :0) Emmax

Hi Emma I would give it a day or so then call MS nurse. It could be anything and could just go away. Rule of thumb is usually more than 24hours. Look out too for colour saturation and brightness sensitivity in the eye which may suggest ON again. I often get little scares with pain or blurred vision in my left eye but it tends not to stay 24hours although I always panic. Best wishes K x

Hi Emma

I don’t think you should ever feel like you’re causing a fuss - if you’re concerned then you should speak to your MS nurse if you can - she may be able to reassure you and put your mind at rest, but yes - if you can wait, then perhaps a good idea to see how you’re doing after 24 hours as K suggests.

Also it’s useful for your neuro/nurse to have a notes on your symptoms as they come up - I always think it’s in my interests to touch base if I suspect a new symptom coming on. I know the feeling of fear when you sense a bit of pain behind the eye - I’ve had ON 3 times, the first was the worst but since I started treatment the other two episodes have been pretty mild.

Good luck and do get some professional advice if you’re concerned - it’s about feeling supported too.xx

Hi Emma

I don’t think you should ever feel like you’re causing a fuss - if you’re concerned then you should speak to your MS nurse if you can - she may be able to reassure you and put your mind at rest, but yes - if you can wait, then perhaps a good idea to see how you’re doing after 24 hours as K suggests.

Also it’s useful for your neuro/nurse to have a notes on your symptoms as they come up - I always think it’s in my interests to touch base if I suspect a new symptom coming on. I know the feeling of fear when you sense a bit of pain behind the eye - I’ve had ON 3 times, the first was the worst but since I started treatment the other two episodes have been pretty mild.

Good luck and do get some professional advice if you’re concerned - it’s about feeling supported too.xx

thank you both…will see what happens tomorrow…hopefully it’s just hayfever causing an infection!! also makes me think if it’s not that after 3 relapses in 7 months…mild as they maybe, i should start drugs…something i really don’t want to do!!! Emma x