Feeling bit confused

Hi,
I’ve had an mri which showed several non specific lesions. I’ve just had a repeat mri and awaiting the results. I’m a bit confused as I’ve received the letter from my follow up appointment with the neurologist which states that the first mri showed no signs of demyelination and if the 2nd mri is clear then no further testing from a neurological point of view is recommended. However I actually have a copy of the original mri radiology report and it clearly states that demyelination can’t be excluded. Any thoughts? Obviously I know I need to wait for the follow up mri scan results but I’m just so used to being fobbed off that I’m already expecting it now.

I suppose I just don’t understand the difference between the two reports, one saying none and another saying not excluded on the same scan.
Many thanks

Hi penny its a confusing time for you best hang in there for the next MRI did you have Gadolinium-based contrast ? With the second Mri …

No, no contrast

I suppose that the fact that one MRI didn’t pick up any lesions doesn’t exclude the possibility of MS - it’s not an absolute test but if two MRIs fail to detect any lesions then it is unlikely. I think you should feel happy and reassured that you are getting two MRIs.

1 Like

To clarify I’ve only had the one results so far and what is confusing me is that the radiologist reported‘ several non specific cerebral white matter hyperintensities of uncertain aetiology but nevertheless demyelination process can’t be excluded’. Then I’ve received a letter today from the neurologist stating that the same mri doesn’t show anything. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something

1 Like