Feeling angry and sorry for myself... :((

To add to my woes, I was told today I have diabetes. It is type 2, so I can a manage it with diet excersise and medication. But weirdly, I am more upset about this than when I was diagnosed with MS. Not sure why. Does anyone else have it and is there any advice you could give me? Sorry about the whine :frowning:

I just think think you need ANYTHING on top of MS!
Itā€™s a lot to cope with having either. So Iā€™m not here to ofer you any bright suggestions but just to show some sympathy hugs

I was diagnosed at the end of April and told likely PPMS at the beginning of July and quite seriously, I think itā€™s only just sinking in really, Iā€™ve had a horrible week and cried as much in the last 2 days as I in July. Thatā€™s sounds awfulā€¦ I have generally been ok, the point Iā€™m making is that itā€™s a real up and down thing and adding something else to the equation would probably upset you far more than the original thing. I think itā€™s only natural to feel like you do and I think youā€™ve got every right to have a bit if a moan about it!

Take care of yourself Amanda

Sonia x

Aww Sonia, poor you! Hope you feel better soon as well :slight_smile: I will be fine, I guess it just feels like I am falling apart at the seams lolā€¦but I am sure, once I get my head around it, I will deal with it much like I do the MS. Tbh, it could be a lot worse reallyā€¦

[quote=ā€œAmanda Pā€] To add to my woes, I was told today I have diabetes. It is type 2, so I can a manage it with diet excersise and medication. But weirdly, I am more upset about this than when I was diagnosed with MS. Not sure why. Does anyone else have it and is there any advice you could give me? Sorry about the whine :frowning: [/quote] Hello Amanda. My sister in-law is type 2 diabetes. She copes quite wellā€¦works as a busy foster mum. Iā€™m sure the diabetes nurse will give you advice about diet and lifestyle changes. Its rotten luck for you though on top of the ms but hopefully youā€™ll make the adjustment quickly and soon be feeling more positive. Chin up!!

i was diagnosed with type 1 a few months after i had the ms diagnosis i hate diabetis and the same as you this pissed me off more than ms well maybe the same as ms lol

Hi Amanda

I hope it begins to sink in soon and you learn to cope with it as well as you do with the MS. The best advice is to follow a healthy diet such as we should all be eating; complex carbohydrates, low fat protein, lots of fruit and vegetables and everything else in moderation.

This is something we are always on the lookout for in my family as there is a history of diabetes going back at least 3 generations. My mum was type 2 but ended up on insulin after she stopped producing any herself, my aunt is and one uncle was type 2, my grandmother was type 2 and I have a first cousin who was diagnosed with type 1 at age 13 so there is always the possibility that it will happen to me or my siblings as we get older. My mum remembers her great aunt being diabetic but in those days there was not so much understanding about it and she was quite poorly with it.

At least, as I have always grown up with it, it doesnā€™t seem like a scary prospect but if it does happen Iā€™m not sure how I will feel if I am constantly checking my sugar levels. Mum took to it like a duck to water and, mostly, managed to keep her blood sugar on a very even keel. It was quite scary when she had a hypo though as she used to go grey and the sweat would pour off her. She used to talk nonsense for 10 minutes or so until we could poke enough sugar into her to bring her to her senses again lol. I used to plead with her not to collapse completely as she was bigger than me and I couldnā€™t have picked her up again! She would have been furious if she had woken up to find a paramedic there as she hated anyone in a medical uniform, ha ha. Of course hypoā€™s are more likely when you are on insulin so you probably wonā€™t have to worry about that :slight_smile:

Take care

Tracey xx

Thanks everyone. To be fair, it was probably going to happen. My nan was type 1 ( lost both her legs through diabetes) and my mum is type 2. I also has gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and was injecting 4 times a day. I guess that is what freaked me out. I feel much better about it today. It isnā€™t the end of the world and eating healthily I not a problem, I was just cross because I thought I had avoided it. Anyway, onwards and upwards :))

Same here,been diagnosed for a few years now. Just trying to get to grips with a new medication called Victosa (liraglutide). Been sitting in my fridge for two months (not me) unused, because I find the prospect of daily injections with it so unappealing and I am making a complete hash of the diet. I guess Iā€™m still in denial. Dont want this to sound like a silver lining but with diabetes all you precriptions can be claimed free by applying for a medical exemption certificate, which in my case is between 9 and 11 items, so would cost a fortune, not to mention free pads on top.

amanda

There is a condition called Candida/Candidiasis. it is linked with diabetes. But make up your own mind.

http://candidaplan.com/blog/725/candida-and-diabetes-2/

Innit a chuff!

You`d think one serious health issue would be enough to cope with, butā€¦

sending you a hug

(((((((((((hug))))))))))

luv Pollx

Hi Amanda I have MS, Type 1 Diabetes, hypothyroidism, pernicious anaemia and a few other medical problems. Life is unfair and each blow seems like more than can be taken but as you have said already- you feel better already. Itā€™s a case of picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and getting on with it. You beat it or it beats you. Hugs ā€¦ xxx

Iā€™m glad you are feeling more positive now Amanda. It was probably just the shock of diagnosis. I hope it all goes smoothly for you now

Tracey x