Forum

Fatigue/Symptoms worse in OZ/NZ?

Hi, I am new to this forum so I do apologise if I have not done this correctly.

I was diagnosed with RRMS last August after first getting Optic Neuritis and then bad legs.

I am a website designer so thankfully I am able to work from home most days and venturing in the office when I am feeling well.

I would say my fatigue is the worst thing, I am sure many of you will agree. I take Amantadine, eat healthy and get lots of sleep but still feel bad. I recently got married in Vegas and it was the first time I felt a lot better, the dry heat I think really helped me.

The recent hot/humid weather in the UK has done the opposite, it has made me spend days in bed and being unable to work.

My wife and I have been thinking whether it maybe a good idea to go abroad for 4/6 months to see how I am. I can still get a works visa for NZ and I am seriously thinking of going to work there and also travel to see how I am.

Has anyone been to Oz/Nz and found that the symptoms have not been as bad?

I know heat is a bad thing, but for some reason I felt great the other month in Vegas, It maybe a holiday/wedding high but clinging on to the thought that dry heat may actually help me.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Chris

yeah but you wont get an immigration visa, they consider you a drain on resources due the MS. or we would be there in a heart beat. job visas are different than immigrations ones. hubby has enough points to get an immigration visa for both countries, but I couldnt because of MS. you can sometimes, and it really depends on your job (web site designers are a dime a dozen, not , and financial situation, get an immigration Visa but its not easy to do

from the immigration site

"Generally, we will not approve the entry of people to New Zealand if they have:

• tuberculosis (TB)
  • a relatively high probability of needing publicly funded health services during their stay in New Zealand, including, but not limited to:
    • hospitalisation
    • residential care*
    • high-cost pharmaceuticals
    • high-cost disability services

applies to a work visa as well according to the NZ immigration site

oh and I found NZ pretty humid, but that could be because we were always near the coast, your mileage may very depending on where you are

Hi thanks for your reply, it looks for the working holiday visa that if you are spending less than 6-12 months in the country then no medical certificate is needed, it is only needed on visas longer than the normal working holiday visa.

That is not the end of the world as I can always work for UK clients from anywhere in the world as I have done this on past back past.

Cheers

I would think in the South it would be dry in NZ the humidity. They have average rainfall. In our country though its notorioiusly damp for long periods, so our humidity is awful.

I hatch chickens at the moment it keeps me going and out of bed. This year has been the worse mortality rate for chicks trying to hatch as the humidity was hitting over 80RH OUTSIDE. Thats really high.

It totally drained me like you i spent a week off my legs, and afterwards am still trying to get through it with the after affects or burning legs and fatigued. Its still high at times where I am. Over 60rh yesterday.

I wouldnt go North in NZ as thats sub tropical.

I think its a great idea actually, why dont you take a holiday there see how you get on?

Right now i would try anything i have just about had enough of living in this pain.

xxxPS. Congrats on your wedding.

well thats good news then :slight_smile:

and been to both Islands, found both humid, the south a tad less tho. but the south can be bad for earthquakes :confused: did prefer the south island tho, found it a lot prettier.

There has been, in the past, several posts from people with MS who find that their symptoms almost disappear when they holiday in Lanzerote. My daughter recently went we a crowd of her friends for a wedding. She loved it - the dry heat. And normally she does not like holidays in the sun.

Might be worth a try - cost of living much cheaper than here.

well sort of cheaper in NZ. thing like shoes can be horribly expensive :confused:

I know an NZ native and she complains about the humidity. Typically I can’t remember which island she’s on! But I’ve heard from several people that the NZ climate is pretty comparable to the UK’s. Australia’s is more extreme because it’s a larger landmass, plus, of course, there’s the wildlife…

hey, author of the original post … I’m currently living in NZ at the moment, just spent a year in Auckland in the North Island. Summer was very hot & humid- didn’t seem to trigger any MS systems. Now I’ve just recently moved to Queenstown which is in the South Island, it’s ski season here at the minute very cold as its NZ’s winter. Taking me a while to adjust to the colder climate & currently feeling a bit poorly but I don’t believe it to do with the climate rather an infection.

uve also lived in Aus for nearly two years & personally love the heat!! So if you can get the visa/ insurance etc… My advice is to get on over here!! Oh, p.s cost of living in NZ in more expensive than OZ and wages bit lower tho :-/ but I love it down under!!!

Ash x

Sorry don’t think the climate in the Canaries helped. I know the studies about potential MS suffers, and their susceptibility to where in they live. I have lived in the Canaries for 25 years, but my MS started there, 10 separate falls 7 different broken bones, The NHS in Spain has collapsed due to the financial crisis there, if I hadn’t have come back to the UK and been DG with MS, I would certainly have been dead by now. Sorry, but the grass isn’t always greener. Take care one and all - Mary

Sorry don’t think the climate in the Canaries helped. I know the studies about potential MS suffers, and their susceptibility to where in they live. I have lived in the Canaries for 25 years, but my MS started there, 10 separate falls 7 different broken bones, The NHS in Spain has collapsed due to the financial crisis there, if I hadn’t have come back to the UK and been DG with MS, I would certainly have been dead by now. Sorry, but the grass isn’t always greener. Take care one and all - Mary