The weather

Hi all, hope your all keeping warm because it is freeeeezing out there, but this is my question is it the heat or the cold that makes your symptoms worse? I find when I go out into the cold weather my hands go very stiff and my body takes a while to defrost when I get in the house but then when I have warmed up my hands go numb and tight and the only way to relive them is to put them under a cold tap! When my doctor gave me my diagnose’s he said ‘you might be better planning ski holidays than sun holidays’ but I know other people with ms that do go away for the sun because it makes them feel much better. So is it the sun or the cold or both? That bothers you. Thanks for reading x

Its extremes in the weather that make me ill,i love the sun, but only up to about the mid and late 20s,if it gets too hot i struggle and my fatigue is really bad, also when its really cold like today,i feel ill, and the worst thing for me is the humidity, i am totally wiped out when its humid.ms wise i always feel better spring/summer adn i hate the winter because thats when most of my rlepases happen,jan/feb time.

Hi Marcus

I can’t stand the cold, and feel fantastic when I’m in a warm, sunny climate. I used to love skiing, but am wondering if I will ever want a skiing holiday again…

H

Hi Marcus, it’s extremes for me too, in the mid 20’s will do nicely thank you, take care, Jean x

Hi Marcus

It is the extreme heat or cold that make my symptoms much worse.

Spring is my best time of year.

Humidity also completely saps my energy without doing anything.

Take care

Pam

Hi I reckon I am worse in the heat. I can`t function at all in anything over about 22 degrees.

in the cold i wrap up best I can, but my feet and legs might never get warm all day, when i`ve been out.

So if i had to choose i`d like to live permanently in a just warm enough temperature.

Does this make any sense…? Now what was that I`ve just posted about on PPMS forum? ha!

luv Pollx

Hi Marcus,

When I was first diagnosed, my condition was MUCH worse when I was in a warm room. Now, 25 years on, I feel the cold so much that sometimes I just can’t stop shaking, no matter how many fleeces I throw on. This makes it all as confusing as the rest of my condition! Stop the world, I want to get off!

Moira

Hi Marcus - sorry, Nicola (I remembered this time!)

I think the cold makes me worse. But worst of all is cold and damp. I’m not too bad when it’s like this: cold, dry, and very sunny. But when it’s damp and cold, the chill seems to get into my bones. I get cramp a lot more, and my walking is stiffer.

So far, I’ve not noticed a particular problem with heat (not that we ever really had any last Summer, so that might explain it). Again, I think it’s dampness/humidity that causes the problem, not extremes of temperature. Generally I feel a bit bleurrrgh on damp, overcast days, with low atmospheric pressure.

Tina

Hiya,

I can only really echo what others have said - hot, humid days are killers, but very cold days (haven’t noticed a difference with damp) make me more stiff, esp my legs. I cope ok with warm dry days, but not too warm cos that’s a killer too. I can’t take a bath, I think the humidity is the main problem, and it’s a mistake to stay in the shower too long. When my hands get cold, I’ve found that the only way really to warm them up is to put on my rubber gloves and wash the dishes. I sleep with the electric blanket on low most of the year round.

When the atmospheric pressure changes, I get terrible sinus headaches during the change - the headache will settle when the pressure does. This is highly irritating and has led to an obsession with catching the weather forecast at least once a day!

Luisa x

Hi, i was always under the impression that it is the heat which makes symptoms worse but this recent cold snap has left me shattered my legs just will not function and i am dragging both feet across the ground , my legs fatigue much faster in the cold than they do the heat, guess we are all different buddy , take it easy …Colin

HI

i dont really have a problem with the weather i dont feel the cold like most people i still wear a t shirt all year round I seem to have a problem with natual heat and man made heat if i sit to near the fire or the shower is to hot I end up feeling lousy and fatigue hits with a vengance but in the sunshine i feel ok last year i went to Cyprus it was 36-38 deg every day and i felt fine

Mark

[quote=“dantanfig”]

HI

i dont really have a problem with the weather i dont feel the cold like most people i still wear a t shirt all year round I seem to have a problem with natual heat and man made heat if i sit to near the fire or the shower is to hot I end up feeling lousy and fatigue hits with a vengance but in the sunshine i feel ok last year i went to Cyprus it was 36-38 deg every day and i felt fine

Mark

[/quote] Hi, mark thanks for your reply, I went to Cyprus 5years ago to get married it is such a beautiful place. At the time I didn’t no I had ms or even if it had started then, I was diagnosed in 2010, and haven’t been abroad since then but me and my husband would love to go back but I do wonder what I would feel like in the heat? Take care nicola

[quote=“joco”]

Hi, i was always under the impression that it is the heat which makes symptoms worse but this recent cold snap has left me shattered my legs just will not function and i am dragging both feet across the ground , my legs fatigue much faster in the cold than they do the heat, guess we are all different buddy , take it easy …Colin

[/quote] Hi Colin, thanks for your reply, I think your right we are all different and ms affects us in different ways. Take are nicola

[quote=“lals02”]

Hiya,

I can only really echo what others have said - hot, humid days are killers, but very cold days (haven’t noticed a difference with damp) make me more stiff, esp my legs. I cope ok with warm dry days, but not too warm cos that’s a killer too. I can’t take a bath, I think the humidity is the main problem, and it’s a mistake to stay in the shower too long. When my hands get cold, I’ve found that the only way really to warm them up is to put on my rubber gloves and wash the dishes. I sleep with the electric blanket on low most of the year round.

When the atmospheric pressure changes, I get terrible sinus headaches during the change - the headache will settle when the pressure does. This is highly irritating and has led to an obsession with catching the weather forecast at least once a day!

Luisa x

[/quote] Hi, luisa, thanks for replying take are Nicola x

[/quote] Hi, mark thanks for your reply, I went to Cyprus 5years ago to get married it is such a beautiful place. At the time I didn’t no I had ms or even if it had started then, I was diagnosed in 2010, and haven’t been abroad since then but me and my husband would love to go back but I do wonder what I would feel like in the heat? Take care nicola

Hi Nicola

my wife and I are going there again this year cant wait, you will have to wait for summer (if we have one) and sit in the sun to see how you feel i hope you and your husband get to holiday out there again

Mark

[quote=“Anitra”]

Hi Marcus - sorry, Nicola (I remembered this time!)

I think the cold makes me worse. But worst of all is cold and damp. I’m not too bad when it’s like this: cold, dry, and very sunny. But when it’s damp and cold, the chill seems to get into my bones. I get cramp a lot more, and my walking is stiffer.

So far, I’ve not noticed a particular problem with heat (not that we ever really had any last Summer, so that might explain it). Again, I think it’s dampness/humidity that causes the problem, not extremes of temperature. Generally I feel a bit bleurrrgh on damp, overcast days, with low atmospheric pressure.

Tina

[/quote] Hi Tina, ha! I think a few are getting me confused to being male perhaps I should change it (not my sex my name)lol! Thanks for your reply takecare Nicola x

[quote=“Rabbit Fan”]

Hi Marcus,

When I was first diagnosed, my condition was MUCH worse when I was in a warm room. Now, 25 years on, I feel the cold so much that sometimes I just can’t stop shaking, no matter how many fleeces I throw on. This makes it all as confusing as the rest of my condition! Stop the world, I want to get off!

Moira

[/quote] Hi moira, yes this condition is crazy! And confusing but I must say its this website that keeps me going so when I get a question in my head I know there will be someone going through kind of the same thing to give me an answer and put me at ease x don’t get off yet I might need more answers to more questions ha! Takecare Nicola x

[quote=“dantanfig”]

Hi Nicola

my wife and I are going there again this year cant wait, you will have to wait for summer (if we have one) and sit in the sun to see how you feel i hope you and your husband get to holiday out there again

Mark

[/quote] Well have a wonderful time I’m so jealous! Yeah perhaps next year it will have to be the British hol this year ha! Nicola

[quote=“MS43”]

Hi I reckon I am worse in the heat. I can`t function at all in anything over about 22 degrees.

in the cold i wrap up best I can, but my feet and legs might never get warm all day, when i`ve been out.

So if i had to choose i`d like to live permanently in a just warm enough temperature.

Does this make any sense…? Now what was that I`ve just posted about on PPMS forum? ha!

luv Pollx

[/quote] Hi poll, thanks for replying I think if the weather was inbetweeny all year round we would be ok. Nicola x

[quote=“skippysprite”]

Hi Marcus

It is the extreme heat or cold that make my symptoms much worse.

Spring is my best time of year.

Humidity also completely saps my energy without doing anything.

Take care

Pam

[/quote] Hi pam thanks for replying. Takecare Nicola x