Eye twitch meds?

Hi I wondered if anyone knew if there were any meds available to stop eye twitching. I’ve recently had Optic Neuritis and a confirmed CIS, and the neuro said the eye lid twitching was certainly down to the CIS. I’m not taking any meds - and they are not the bad type of twitches where your whole eye goes, just bottom lid but its bloody annoying 24/7

Not sure, sorry, but if it’s definitely due to a nerve and not a vitamin/mineral deficiency then maybe a neuropathic painkiller would help (e.g. amitriptyline, gabapentin, pregabalin)? They basically dampen down the nervous system so might reduce the activity that’s causing the twitching. Worth asking anyway.

Karen x

Hi, on more than one occassion, neuros have told me that they can see my eye twitching.But I have not felt the twitch myself. I was offered botox to stop this happening.

I declined, as I didnt want to look like I was staring with one eye!

I dont know about any meds for it.

Is it a twitch you or other folk can see?

If it is, then maybe you want to ask about botox.

Otherwise, I would leave it.

luv Pollx

In February 1993, I began blinking excessively and uncontrollably. As it became worse, I went
to a number of eye doctors. They all agreed that my vision was not impaired and thought the
problem was dry eye and prescribed drops. They did not help. The others thought the cause
was nerves, but it was not that either.

My Blepharospasm Symptoms Intensify

When I coached my sons’ basketball games, I not only would miss half of the games caused by
the blinking; I would wear a baseball cap and sunglasses to hide my eyes.

When at a restaurant, my sons, sitting opposite me, would turn away to avoid looking at my
eyes twitching. They joked about it, not realizing the discomfort and embarrassment I felt. My
wife had to do the weekend driving since I could not. The eye twitching always seemed to
intensify when I was in a moving vehicle. It did not matter if I was driving or someone else. My
90 mile daily round trip to work became a nightmare. Thankfully, I was able to avoid having any
accidents.

Two Years and Not a Solution

Two years later, I was quite concerned and upset. By this time my quality of life had become
worse. Being a corporate controller, I felt my future and family’s financial security were
threatened.

In June, 1995, I found a local doctor who diagnosed my symptoms as a rare neurological
disorder called Blepharospasm. It is the result of “faulty” brain signals sent to the optic
muscles, forcing them to contract, hence the twitching. With the cause being unknown, there
was no hope of relief. (I would later find relief by accident). It is not life-threatening but
could be debilitating. In the worst cases, the sufferer would be considered legally blind even
though their vision may be 20-20.

Injecting Botox Resulted in Some Relief

A neurologist told me that the preferred treatment was injecting small doses of Botox
(Botulinum toxin) into the eyelids. This would later become popular to get rid of wrinkles. My
wife became very concerned when we learned from the neurologist that it was Botulinum that
would be injected into my eyelids. I said, “I came for relief so let’s do it.” I was never fond of
injections, but relief was my first priority.

The Botox took several days to be effective and did provide some relief. However, the affect on
my smile was strange and it made my eyes look artificial. It cost about $400 and lasted only
six weeks, although most people experienced relief for six months. After my second treatment, I
began to question the future affect. I went for a second opinion and when I could not
be assured of its safety, I decided to stop.

A Healthy Solution Seemed Hopeful

Several weeks later, I learned of a powerful, natural and organic whole food supplement. It’s a
one of a kind whole food that is loaded with nutrition. I decided to try it.

When I would back out of my driveway to go to work, the spasms would begin. They would not
stop until the car was parked. Six weeks after taking this natural health food, my wife made me
realize that I had not had any spasms all week. I said, “Could it be that the Blepharospasm is
caused from a nutritional deficiency?”

The Quest to Prove That I Had Found an Alternative Solution That Really Worked

I spent the next twelve years trying to convince the medical community that I had discovered
something remarkable. No one would listen. During this time I did introduce the food to sixteen
individuals with Blepharospasm and seven told me it helped them.

Sometime later I was offered a double-blind study at the Wilmer Eye Opthomological Institute of
the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. I was overwhelmed and
flattered. Six years later the results of the study, where I was mentioned twice, was published.
The article appeared in The Journal of Ophthalmology, July, 2004 Issue Volume 138; Issue
1 pages 18 – 32.

It was stated to me that “The food is safe and I expect it to help many more people. I would
recommend it for all who wish to try it for several months.”

The results noted that the food was safe, helped some, with no side effects.

Helping Other Blepharospasm Sufferers Get Relief

People are still suffering and happily I am still near symptom-free. Perhaps now is the time I
will be heard.

In the summer of 2005 I received an honor from the Dystonia Foundation being recognized
with a 2005 Courage Award. It was received for inspiring people with my vitality. Dystonia is the
name of movement disorders with Blepharospasm being one of six.

I believe now is the time to resurrect what I thought was my calling – to give relief to sufferers.
Since the Internet has become mainstream, it became clear the sufferers would be better
served by reaching out to them instead of the medical community.

There are two factors to accomplish better health. They are cleansing and nutrition. Cleansing
is necessary to free the body of toxins and other harmful chemicals. Nutrition will nourish the
body to strengthen it and provide improved functioning.

I am very proud of the fact that during the last several years I have helped nearly 40
sufferers and the list keeps growing weekly. I am also happy about the fact that I have
now reached 23 countries and 48 states.

For more information, visit http://.www.myblepharospasmsolution.com.

Copied directly from the paper that the above poster cites (SBGA is “super blue-green algae”, which I assume is the “food” talked about above):

"● RESULTS: A total of 24 patients (10 men, 14 women; aged 42 to 83 years) completed both treatment periods. Mean within-patient difference in blink rate between SBGA [super blue-green algae] and placebo periods was 2.1 blinks per 2 minutes (95% confidence interval [CI]: 20.8–31.9), not statistically different from zero (P .83). Mean within-patient difference in time between injections between SBGA and placebo periods was 4.6 days (95% CI: 13.3–22.5), not statistically different from zero (P .62). The lack of statistical significance may have been because of small sample size. There were no significant differences in severity of involuntary movement between SBGA and placebo treatment periods. However, patients were more likely to report limitation in function during the period they took SBGA than during the period they took placebo (odds ratio, 0.2; P .03).

● CONCLUSION: Overall, we found no evidence of a beneficial effect of SBGA as an adjunct to botulinum toxin A injections; however, a few patients, all younger than 60 years, did appear to benefit from SBGA."

All those “not statistically different from zero” and “no significant differences” basically mean that super blue-green algae made no difference. And “a few patients” - out of 24?!

Doesn’t quite read as positively as it was portrayed!

Perhaps the final part of the paper says it best though: “Nevertheless, a small group of three patients—all younger than age 60 years—did benefit from SBGA. Thus, a young patient wishing to try SBGA need not be discouraged from doing so. In addition, because SBGA appears to have no major side effects, older patients who wish to determine if the substance can help them can be reassured that, although the likelihood of benefit of SBGA treatment is low, the risk is also low. Unfortunately, our study shows that for most patients with essential blepharospasm or Meige syndrome, SBGA is not likely to be useful.”

Kx