Experiences with anaesthetic

I’m wondering if the weird side effects I’ve had from anaesthetics is down to MS. Anyone know if anaesthetic causes issues for us?

Previously, I had a short day surgery with general anesthetic during which I stopped breathing and on being revived my BP was so low I couldn’t stand upright all night. I was also extremely shivery and could not stop my teeth chattering.

Following another minor surgery I had urine retention which caused a UTI then a kidney infection. Got the same teeth chattering, shivery thing again. I also had very blurred vision for over a month.

When I had quite a large amount of local anaesthetic in my face for laser treatment on acne scarring I had the most insane muscle fasciculations all down the backs of my legs - it was constant, quite violent and covering the entire surface of the backs of my legs. They did spread to the rest of my body, particularly my arms but nowhere near to the extent of my legs. I was also very shivery and found it hard to catch my breath (although that could be because the muscle fasciculations were scaring me!). It lasted for about an hour. The injections did not make me numb at all and I felt everything. Again, my vision was blurred and I had a really terrible headache that lasted for five days.

The first few occurrences I think are probably not to do with MS, but the last one, I’m not sure. The local injections were nerve blocks so it seems to tie in. I have had muscle fasciculations in the past when I’ve had injections at the dentists but nowhere near as bad as with the laser treatment. But then the amount of anesthetic was far greater.

Had anyone experienced this? I’m only worrying about this currently as I need extensive dental work and am very concerned about having any injections. It doesn’t sound like a big deal but it was really horrible. I had not been diagnosed at the time of these events although I did have symptoms.

Hi WelshDragon

My late brother had MS and I have MS, we have both had similar issues with anaesthetic, veins shutting down, suppressed breathing, low blood pressure etc. prior to and following diagnosis with MS. Our other siblings (non-MS) don’t appear to have had any issues with anaesthetic. Whether there is a link with the genetic roulette wheel that gave us MS or not, I don’t know.