even in a wheelchair?!

hi all

i suppose u are wondering what the question is?

my nausea/travel sickness is so bad that it even happens when i am being pushed in a wheelchair! its making me feel so pathetic! i did take domperidone with good effect for approx 4 years-but having no effect now.

am trying kwells-i so hope they are effective.

anyone else had this prob to this extent? did u find an answer?

thanks for any info.

ellie x

Hi Ellie, odd one this! How fast are you travelling? Sorry don`t mean to sound wrong with that question. Not heard of anyone having wheelie sickness before. If it continues, ask GP, eh?

luv Pollx

hi poll

my 11 yr old daughter was pushing-so def not fast!

gp is already on to it-he had never heard of such a thing either.

just wondered if anyone on here could share their experience.

will let u know if gp/i find a solution.

ellie x

Ellie, There have been posts on here about pwms - suffering vertigo - having ‘physio’ involving their neck/head being ‘rotated’-not all the way round you will be pleased to know. lt has a name - which l have forgotten - so hopefully someone intelligent will reply. But travel/motion sickness is a type of vertigo. l will do some googling - see what l can find - The only trouble with the sea-sickness pills is they make you sleepy.

F.

Found something - Cawthorne-Cooksey is one - Brandt-Daroff another - but just google exercises for vertigo.

Have fun now!!

Travel Bands might be worth a try Ellie?

Karen x

hi

frances-thanks

karen-got them 4 weeks ago

its a small issue amongst all else that i am coping with but its first thing that has to be resolved in order that i can move on with the other things.

ellie x

It seems this Travel Sickness problem comes under the heading Dysdiadochokinesia; try saying that when you had a drink.

See http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/ataxia.html

George

Hi Ellie, well they always say that a car driver doesn’t feel travel sick because their eyes are focused ahead and the idea is that if a passenger feels travel sick you should sit them in the front passenger seat focused ahead just like the driver. So, when in your wheelchair why don’t you try focussing straight ahead, don’t look down or behind, just focus ahead, as if you were driving. Cheryl:-)

Aside from exercises and pills (I’ve used prescribed beta-histine and over-the-counter Stugeron successfully in the past), have you tried ginger?

Strips of fresh ginger in your cooking are best imo, but ginger biscuits or chunks of crystallised ginger can help keep nausea at bay.

Lolli xx

Hi Ellie,

I had this problem too when being pushed in a wheelchair. Horrible. It was very speed dependent for me and the person pushing just HAD to go a lot slower. For me it was about 1/2 their normal walking speed which made things pretty frustrating all round :slight_smile: But any faster and it was just terrible. It was very much a vertigo sensation for me.

This combined with the fact that I don’t have the strength to self propel any more is what prompted me to ditch the manual wheel chair all together in favour of my micro scooter. I can whizz around 3 times as fast as someone can walk with NO vertigo at all :slight_smile:

For steeper and rougher outdoor scootering I have my big scooter and my micro one lives in the boot of my car. No more vertigo and no more need for someone else to push me around. YAY independence :slight_smile:

I got funding for mine. I have no idea what funding arrangements there are in the UK but I am sure someone could help with that if you are interested in going the scooter route.

Cheers,

Belinda

Oh and Ellie… Should have added that the ability to go fast on the scooter but not in the wheelchair is because I am in control. Yeah, control freak, that’s me

But it does go back to what Upytupy was saying about being the driver. Being pushed means your brain can’t quite register changes in direction and even the movement of the chair over the ground is hard for your brain to compute because YOU aren’t creating the movement. This then sets up the vertigo. But on the scooter because you are steering and setting the speed your brain is in synch with what you have told the scooter to do so the messages aren’t confused and thus no vertigo.

Hmmm, that seems about as clear as mud

Cheers,

Belinda