electric shock is to painfull

Hi I’m andy 34 and new here, I have been suffering from a very painful electric shock type pain in my right thigh, and its been going on for more than a year now. Today the pain was so intense it’s now effecting my driving. The pain lasts up to about 10 seconds. Any help, guidance or advice would be great…Thank you.

Hi Andy Welcome to the site. Great bunch of folk here who have helped me loads. But sorry cant help with your electric shock. But if you put electric shock in the search box in the forum then old posts about it will come up which might be able to help you Min xx

I hear gabapentin is good for this… I can’t take it because it doesn’t agree with me. Ask your Dr for some. Lynn

Here is a vote for Gabapentin.
I was getting the shocks mainly in shoulders and upper arms, but sometimes in hips.

Your GP can prescribe it, but some need to be asked by a Neuro or MS Nurse. After that, the repeats come from the GP.

I had no side effects - others have.

Geoff

Thank you for the replies. .This must sound rather silly to hear but are my symtoms ms? I plan to see the doctor soon.

I’m now having pain in my left inside elbow. …grrrrrrrrrrrr

Electric shocks are a symptoms of ms… Very much so, but please don’t make the mistake of putting everything down to ms… Double check with your neuro or ms nurse. Lynn

Just looked at your profile, I’m guessing you haven’t been diagnosed yet. Please get checked out by a neuro who will then decide what drugs you may need, Lynn

Yes thank you. I plan to see the doctors this week to get diagnosed.

[quote=andy25]Yes thank you. I plan to see the doctors this week to get diagnosed.[/quote Do you mean your own GP ?

Yes my own gp…I have just seen my gp and now I have been referred to a neuro. But this will take some time to recieve a date.

Yes my own gp…I have just seen my gp and now I have been referred to a neuro. But this will take some time to recieve a date.

That’s good to hear Andy… because different tests are needed to give a definite answer. Good luck

Hi Andy,

Possible L’Hermittes; L’Hermitte’s sign describes electrical buzzing sensations in the limbs and body brought on by movement of the neck. These sensations are known as paraesthesia and include tingling, buzzing, electrical shocks, partial numbness and sharp pains. L’Hermitte’s is most often triggered by lowering the head so that the chin touches the chest. The sensations usually only last for a second or two. It has been called the “barber shop” symptom because it is often evoked when the hairdresser asks you to lower your head when he or she shaves the back of your neck.

L’Hermitte’s is associated with a number of conditions including arthritis, cervical spondylosis, disc compression, pernicious anaemia, tumours and multiple sclerosis. In many cases, the cause cannot be found.

Because the cervical spinal cord is a frequent target for multiple sclerosis it is a very common symptom of MS. Aproximately two thirds of people with multiple sclerosis experience L’Hermitte’s symptom at some point during the course of their disease.

In MS, L’Hermitte’s is an indicator of lesions in the cervical spine (the part of spine in the neck). Movement of the neck causes the damaged nerves (the demyelinated neurons) to be stretched and send erroneous signals. The symptoms can occur anywhere below the neck and many people with MS find that it moves around their body from one day to the next.

Another explanation might be neuralgic pain. I have this which affects my left arm and leg. Amatryptiline usually helps although this initially has side effects they calm down. Worth looking on the Internet to see if neuralgic pain is one possible explanation. Nothing to lose. Gary

Great comments guys. Thank you. Lots to look into.

I have actually tried the chin on the chest to see if it triggers the pain and there is no pain at all. The pain seems to come completely at random at any time. It even wakes me up while in bed.

maybe a good idea to keep quiet about the pain afffecting your driving when you see the doc/neuro…the last thing you want os someone questioning your ability to drive - DVLA.

Thanks. …I will keep this in mind.