DVLA

hi all finally got letter back from dvla today and yes on to a 3 year license i go…took me back a bit to finally see it in black and white

i’ve had license for the last 27 years and never did i think i would go onto anything health related

if only my right leg had never went numb 18 months ago none of the above would be relevant…

sorry if this sounds like a moan…just feeling a bit down tonight over it all

thanks for looking

tc

baz

Hi Baz,

I got my 3 year license, last month.

It’s weird isn’t it; go through the stress and worry of diagnosis, drugs, adapating your life and yet a driving license can make it all hit home.

Doesn’t sound like a moan at all.

Lets hope in 3 years, we are given another 3 years but I guess no point in worrying what might happen.

Lets just be glad they didn’t take our licenses away.

Take care

Clare

Hi Baz

I am also on a 3 year licence yet somehow see it as an advantage.

Sounds weird I know, but I feel it helps when getting a Blue badge as shows the council that I have mobility probs.

I also intend to point it out when applying for PIP (the DLA replacement). It will be mentioned in my application and when seeing the doctor as I feel it all helps when claiming our entitlement to PIP.

Maybe I am wrong but who knows.

Neil

i too felt like you. I had taken my advanced driving a few years ago in my 40’s and was chuffed because I used to tow a caravan, be able to park a large vehicle and drive almost anything on the road - alas the 3 year license took away all my categories. Im now stuck with driving my car under 3 year license.

Its a bummer, but lets face it, its better to have a 3 year license than none at all.

I feel for you, I mourned my loss as you are, but youll get over it. Now my son can drive more than I can and Im the driver!!!

bren

x

What boxes did you tick? Did you tick that you CAN control the vehicle safely at all times? I looked at the form… and I have numbness in right leg too and dont know what to tick!

I’m not a driver, but I’m pretty sure an MS diagnosis always results in a 3-year licence, regardless of symptoms at onset.

That’s because it’s a degenerative condition, so even if your driving is unaffected initially, it wouldn’t be safe to say you could continue to drive indefinitely, without further inquiry as to how you’re getting on.

If it had been, say, your face that went numb - nothing critical for driving - it wouldn’t follow that you would have kept a full licence.

T.

Dead right, Tina. MS = 3 year licence.

I should only have a two year licence on account of my age, but I got the standard MS one of three years.

They took away the bit about driving light commercial vehicles - and left me with my licence to drive a tank. Obviously there is nothing in the DVLA rulebook about that!

Geoff

How long did it take for yours to come through? I have just re-applied for mine - I say just, I mean about 2 months ago, I am still waiting to hear!

Also my partner was diagnosed with MS 7 years ago and there were no changes to his at all he just has a “normal” driving licence.

How long did it take for yours to come through? I have just re-applied for mine - I say just, I mean about 2 months ago, I am still waiting to hear!

Also my partner was diagnosed with MS 7 years ago and there were no changes to his at all he just has a “normal” driving licence.

How long do you wait? A long time, probably.

Two to three months is not unusual. The problem is that there are too many people in the process, and too many steps in the process, and one day late can easily turn into one month.

So, if you tell them about the MS, which you have to do by law, they send you a form. You fill it in, return it, and it waits for the next meeting of the medical review panel. They write to your Neuro (or whoever you put down on the form). The Neuro writes a reply (whenever they spend a day on the paperwork) and returns it. The form waits for the next meeting of the medical review panel. They make a decision. You then get to hear quite quickly. But, the whole thing has taken time.

So I was driving for about a month without a licence. They tell you that their letter will serve as a licence. This is OK if you do not want a proper photo licence for some reason. It gets better - they ask for your old licence (still current) to be returned at an early stage in the process, and “you can still drive using their letter as a licence”. Yes, really! I cannot think of any US rental car outlet that would accept a letter in place of a licence. I can imagine just what a Gendarme would say if you were stopped for any reason in France. Of course, I did not return my licence. They never asked for it again. When I got the new one, the old licence went into the shredder.

Geoff