Driving Licence

The 3 years were up on my driving licence in March, so I started the renewal process in December.
I’ve had the medical assessemt, which the DVLA have received.
I have also had a letter to say that my renewal was in progress and that this letter was proof that it was ok to continue to drive what I was waiting. They said it might be awhile.

We are now rapidly approaching June for a process that was started in December.

Anyone else finding that is it taking quite a while to get the licenced renewed?

ls there a contact number, on the letter, the DVLA sent you acknowledging receipt of your renewal application. The DVLA are notorious for keeping you waiting.

lf you contact them again - do keep a copy.

l was on the ‘3yr licence’ many times until they then decided to let me have a licence up until l am 70.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I have spoken to them, that’s how I know they have received the medical assessment.
Also I have my letter saying I am ok to drive, so no worries on that part.
I am more curious if others we having the same problem.

When I got my first 3 year licence it all went through very quickly, which is why I am a little surprised this time.

I am ring them if I get bored, to see what is happening.

Regards,
Paul

Paul - they are a nightmare if you ask me! I dont think I have ever had my renewal back in fewer than 5 months…

Surely you will never get bored enough to want to phone the DVLA! Hope you get it back soon!

In there favour, I will say they are very pleasent and human on the phone.
But they do seem a little useless.

It looks like I need to hang on a little longer before making a fuss.
Hopefully it will come through before it expires again.

I’m sure they must only have about one person doing all the licenses for us with disabilities. The longest I’ve been waiting is about 9 months, the shortest is probably about 5 months. I remember reading someone on here say that there’s took over a year! So I wouldn’t worry too much about it - it’ll come when it comes.

Dan

I just emailed them as I sent of the medical declaration 2 months ago, just wondering if they even got it! Tried to ring but didn’t even have the option to hold. Told to ring back and bye!

Hi I sent mine back in sept 13 and am still waiting. Not too bothered as I can still drive. Neil

Ok, so it seems that i won’t see the renewal form any time soon.

But since I have written proof I can drive then it is not much a problem.

i have more things to get wound up about, so I will focus on them.

Thanks everyone.
Paul

Sent mine of 6 weeks ago and today got a letter saying 3 year license and keep motorbike .

Hi Grey,
Result for you.

I think I lost a couple of PSV groups but got to keep the bike, which I was well chuffed with.

Paul

Yea Paul Lost a lorry category, but never used it. Chuffed to have bike

all,this post gives me hope,had mine revoked/refused a few week’s ago.Lost lorry.car and bike,the fight to get it back continues.

Mel

Can anyone tell me how you can keep bike licence? but take loose over 3.500 kg as if your legs aren’t working properly so you can ride a bike but not drive a vehicle? I thought a bike might be a little more dangerous if you are trying to balance at a stop and fall into someone, but can’t stop with a vehicle over 3.500kg. I know that trying to stop with the weight might cause a little more damage, but so can a 1000cc can do if you fall into a car with a passenger sitting next to you!

My last licence took 18 months! - they had to write to the neuro 3 times to get a reply and twice to my GP… and I got handcontrols, steering adaptions, automatic car and… use suitable controls with your motorbike! I haven’t ridden one for 20 years because I haven’t felt that I would be able to balance properly.

My last licence took 18 months! - they had to write to the neuro 3 times to get a reply and twice to my GP… and I got handcontrols, steering adaptions, automatic car and… use suitable controls with your motorbike! I haven’t ridden one for 20 years because I haven’t felt that I would be able to balance properly.

I think self preservation will stop you riding a motorcycle long before you become a danger, I know i did. When i wasn’t happy that I could move my fingers to the brake as quick as I would like, I stopped. I had a lovely 1000cc Suzuki too, it was a sad day. A chap from Liverpool got a real bargain.

With the groups that I lost, they were for multi person vehicles, which potentially presents more of a danger, especially as they will be commercial vehicles and there could be the pressure of work to drive.
I am really just speculating at this, but that would be my reasoning.

I dunno whats happening with my license yet but I really don’t think I could be a pillion on a bike let alone the rider. I just haven’t the balance, I would be very surprised if I kept that part, fortunately I have a car one too.

It would be interesting to know if they did differentiate between car and bike licences. I guess it depends on the medical report. I have never been asked if I ride a bike, but I suppose I don’t look like your typical hairy biker.
My feeling is its all or nothing. I would be more then welcome to be corrected on this though.

I lost some of the bigger vehicle groups (minibus and transit-style vans) and I lost my group A entitlement that I had on my car licence. They didn’t ask whether I used my group A, just removed it (I didn’t use it anyway). These days the only bike I’m prepared to go on is an exercise bike and DVLA have given me a car licence so I’ve still got my independence.