Drs appointment

Today i got my repeat prescription delivered and inside it there was a note that said before i can have anything more i needed a review of my meds. So i duly rang up the 0844 number that my drs have and was left on hold for 10mins with the same message over and over again. Then when i do get an answer i cant get a bookable appointment till 13th of October. good job that i dont need anything else before then isnt it. How many of us have this problem and do you have to call a premium rate number for your gp.

Hi, yes we do have to ring an 0844 no, for our GP. Scandalous, isnt it! I often have a note attached to my repeat script, like the one youve had. But they don`t seem to act on it when I ask. they only want me to make an appointment with the nurse, for BP check and blood tests once a year. luv Pollx

Hi My doctors appointment system is good and bad. I can book online for a non-urgent appointment, which is helpful, but as my doctor is very popular that can be two weeks off at least. If I need an appointment for the same day it can be a pain. I have to start ringing at 8.30am (far too early for me :frowning: ) and its always engaged. Ive never got through immediatly yet! It can take upto 10minutes min with constantly pressing re-dial before I get threw. When I do finally get an answer there are no appointments left! GGRRHHHHH!!! What I do want to say though is if you do get the engaged signal and it gives you the option to have them ring you back - DONT because you will not get a reply call until they are finally free to do so and all appointments taken. Just take a deep breath and keep pressing redial. Its good exercise for your fingers ha ha. Equus X

Hi, Like Poll I’ve had the little note but I ignored it. I got my next script without any trouble. I did eventually make an appointment with the GP but he looked at me as though I was barmy when I said that I’d come to review my meds. Jane

I asked about this “review” thing once and was told that it was a reminder for the GP to authorise the script again. I didn’t need to do anything. Might be the same at your surgery? And yes, it’s an 0844 number for mine too :frowning: Karen x

when i get through on the 0844 number your held in a Q to be conected to the surgery and then when you get connected then your held in a Q again sometimes can be on the phone 15-20 mins at a premum rate its suposed to have been stopped but my gps not got the message yet it seems

A thing I discovered by accident. The surgery serving my area went 0844. I didn’t know that and kept ringing the old local number and always got through - when I found out the number had changed I forgot to reprogramme my phone and now the surgery is back to the old local number anyways! So if you remember the old number try ringing it in case it still works :wink: Clarexxx

Working in IT for GPs I know for a fact that 0844 or 0845 are against NHS policy. The practices actually make money out of you phoning them and also get free things like panel displays that call patients in. Complain to the practice manager and demand a local number to call. If you’re not happy with the response complain to your NHS trust. They have an obligation to fix it!

The reason GPs are encouraged to review our meds with us is because sometimes we need to be asked the questions! I have epilepsy and was fully controlled on medication so I didn’t see my neurologist much. Which is the usual way of things. But if I wanted to ask a question about my meds or my epilepsy I wouldn’t make an appointment with my GP or neuro to ask. But being called in to see my GP gave me the opportunity to talk epilepsy to my GP without me having to ‘bother the GP about nothing’. She isn’t a neurologist, so she referred me back to my neuro when I wanted to discuss coming off my meds. I changed meds and decided that the risk of another seizure was way too high if I came off meds completely. That’s one of the very good reasons why GPs should see us at least once a year when we gave long-term medical conditions. And why there are MS nurses, who are supposed to be more approachable, and Epilepsy nurses, if you are one of the lucky few. It also means that people who have a little niggle with their meds can talk about it without ‘making a fuss’. That really can make a difference - I nagged my Mum about something and she had a change of meds as a result. I see my diabetes nurse regularly to make sure everything is OK, and react if it’s not.