does wisdom come with age?

Hi all. Lovely BH weather, eh?

Just wondering…I know we are a varied bunch when it comes to age.

Anyone think being older naturally makes us wiser?

Not so sure mesel…suppose it depends on what you`re talking about.

I can offer advice when I have experienced something myself…but that doesnt mean one size fits all, eh?

Anyone care to share their feelings on this…AND admit their age?

I`m 60.

luv Granny Pollyxxx

Hi Poll, I am 57’ wiser I’m not sure lol, but I am definitely more patient and even tempered then when I was younger. In some ways though I seem less tolerant of certain situations, I get really cross about things going on the world, drug use, bad behaviour etc and I don’t know about you Poll but all the greed, youngsters seem to think the world owes them a living and they should be entititled to have everything they want. Gosh I sound like a right grumpy old woman !!! Honest im not really. On a positive note I am now really happy with my lot, I have worked hard to enable myself and my hubby to enjoy life a bit, have four lovely grandchildren and plans for our future retirement, so all in all life’s pretty good apart from this bloody disease. Polly you are a star, I alwys enjoy reading your posts and you offer brilliant advice, thank you . Karen xx

Thankyou karen, for your kind words.

Now about this planning for retirement thingy…hubby and I bought our first motorhome for ourselves, once the girls didnt want to holiday with us anymore.

We were in our 40s…so many people have said to us that they would love a motorhome once they are retired.

Thing is, hubby has just reached 65 and I am 60…retirement holiday plans in our motorhome? Afraid not. I`m not able to use it for hols now, as the legs have packed up. Our hols are separate now. I go with 2 carers, he goes with our dog! A holiday with me now, is no holiday for him.

I hope your plans come to fruition hun.

pollx

Hi Poll, I’m 42 (starting to go grey at the sides) and I feel I am no wiser than when I was 18, but then I don’t really feel that different overall (ignoring the chronic neurological condition that rears its ugly head occasionally and a few extra wrinkles)

I think people can only comment on their own experiences but is that the same as wisdom, I’m not sure - although they do say that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

For that reason we will always listen to you Poll, you have been there and done that, got the t-shirt and commerative mug - you are our MS mum!!

JellyBellyKelly

Hi, I am still making mistakes…silly ones and catastrophic ones too! I think being too wise can be a bit boring! You gotta live dangerously sometimes…like when my daughter took me and 2 granddaughters to a steep park. They ran over the bumpy grass to the other side of the park. I tried to follow them, but my wheels aren`t big enough to cope. I was left having to find my own way down a steep path. The so and sos, leaving me like that. I came down backwards and asked a passing stranger to guide me…wise lesson learnt?

Yeh, dont be forced into such a tricky situation again!

pollx

Hi Poll,

I certainly don’t think I’m any wiser than I was in my early 30’s - the only thing that has grown since then is experience.

As my memory is declining with each year that goes by, and no longer working has drastically reduced my exposure to different opinions & views, I feel less intelligent now than I used to.

I expect to become totally retarded before I’m done

Dom

Personally I don’t think age is any guarantee of wisdom. What’s probably more important than age is your willingness to learn (nd we’re probably able to learn best when we’re humble enough to admit our mistakes). I guess being older gives you an advantage though, as you more experiences to learn from.

No doubt there’ll be a whole bunch of reasons, but don’t know what.

Dan (36)

Oo-er

Hi Poll, unfortunately stupid people age at the same rate as wise people. I am 48 and still waiting to become wise and grown up. Linda x

Hi Poll

I’m 43 and agree with the others. We’ve had more time to have had life experience, but that also depends on what kind of life you’ve had so not always right. The ms and drugs are rapidly killing off my brain cells, I was once a professional with really goodqualifications, fluent in 2 languages and now I’m a twitching fool who often can’t remember my date of birth.

Ow do Poll,I’m 50 in a couple of months,but I’ll need to be a damned sight older than that to be accused of possessing wisdom.How old is Yoda’s Dad?

Wb x

I’m 42 and all the above…especially Min. I used to be in a profession that meant sanding on my feet for hours , spouting forth and mostly from memory. I could speak Greek and French reasonably well. Last week I could not remember my damn name on the phone. Wisdom ? Not sure. But the ability to see others heading for the same pitfalls that you’ve hit becomes a gift. Maybe that’s just a bunch of experiences that shapes who you become? Xx

Hi

I’m also 60 wether I’m wiser now is debatable and it doesn’t matter anyway because nobody takes any notice of me.

Like I tell people I’m 60 now so I can give advice now.

If I could relive my life and know what I know now, would it be any better ?

I do find myself thinking back and thinking I could have done that better.

Us oldies have more life experience to draw upon.

I do think that when kids go to uni they get a degree and have common sence removed.

Both me and my lady have childeren with degrees but nither can change a toilet roll.

Regards

Ronin

Definitely. I would have made much more informed descisions in the past if I had known then what I know now. I think wisdom comes with experience. I was very naive but very happy. I think that I have grown up a lot in the past six years. I think that comes with being a father and maybe growing a beard. :slight_smile:

Gm all xx

Hi Welshboy,

I think you’re spot-on when you say fatherhood makes you grow up (…parenthood in general ), but the beard …I’ve had one for the last 4 years and I’m still as childish as ever .

Dom

You young lot do make me laugh - banging on about age and wisdom.
The quick answer is that when you get some age in, you will know.

That priceless item of wisdom comes from a Geoff who is looking at 76 before Christmas.

I borrow another priceless item from someone on a non-MS forum:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom it treating it as a vegetable.

Think on’t

Geoff

I like that, Geoff…in fact knowledge is understanding it, wisdom is pinching it and using it at a later date !!!

I was sent this email this morning and thought I would share.

Now that I’m older here’s what I’ve discovered:

1. I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

2. My wild oats are mostly enjoyed with prunes and all-bran.

3. I finally got my head together, and now my body is falling apart.

4. Funny, I don’t remember being absent-minded.

5. Funny, I don’t remember being absent-minded.

6. If all is not lost, then where the heck is it ?

7. It was a whole lot easier to get older, than to get wiser.

8. Some days, you’re the top dog; some days you’re the hydrant.

9. I wish the buck really did stop here; I sure could use a few of them.

10. Kids in the back seat cause accidents.

11. Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

12. It’s hard to make a comeback when you haven’t been anywhere.

13. The world only beats a path to your door when you’re in the bathroom.

14. If God wanted me to touch my toes, he’d have put them on my knees.

15. When I’m finally holding all the right cards, everyone wants to play chess.

16. It’s not hard to meet expenses . . . they’re everywhere.

17. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

18. These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter . . …I go somewhere to get something, and then wonder what I’m “here after”.

19. Funny, I don’t remember being absent-minded.

20. HAVE I SENT THIS MESSAGE TO YOU BEFORE…???

Just grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to remember the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Ha…pinching this too !!