retirement (at last)

hello all,

i hope everyone is well and happy. tomorrow i ‘officially’ become a young (ish) pensioner at the age of 42 with the termination of my work contract. its a reassurance in some respects as working with ms wasn’t working for me, but i am worried about being put out to pasture. i am trying to consider it a new start and will be completing a number of things to exercise my mind, my creativity and health.

sorry to have been self-indulgent in this post, but i wanted to mark this event to anyone who may understand.

best wishes, fluffyollie xx

2 Likes

hi ollie

i understand totally.

when i got my medical retirement i was made up because although i loved that job, along with ms it was killing me.

good luck withn this new chapter in your life

carole xxxxxx

1 Like

thanks carole- that’s really nice of you to say :0) xxxxx

you’re welcome

xx

Hi Fluffyollie,

Its a big decission going for ill health retirement.
My employer as been talking to me about it as well and I have a meeting next month with my consultant to see what he thinks.
I am only 44 and a bit scared as to what the future holds. But deep down I know I can’t manage work and have a quality family life as well.

Good luck for the future.

1 Like

hi irons

i do know what you’re going through- its a massive life-changing decision that affects you and family. for what its worth, sitting down and talking it over with my wife was essential as it affected her as much as me. i think that there is a real need to make sure you’ve got plans so that life has a structure.

remember that you have a lot to offer, and don’t be afraid to talk it over with loved ones

please accept my returned good luck wishes

Thanks

My wife and children are fine about everything. Its more that I haven’t excepted it yet.
I think that’s a good point when you say make sure life has a structure for the future.

Suppose the adventure is just starting.

Thanks

1 Like

Good luck on this stage in your life’s journey, Ollie, on the back 40 as Americans call it, I think. Perfect time for a fresh start, who knows what the future holds for you, but whatever it is it’s NOT going to be work related stress. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m older than you at almost 56, I stopped working two years in April and officially retired a year gone Christmas eve. I wish now I had done it five years ago instead of hanging on and prolonging the agony, which was what work had become.

I live alone and don’t have any dependant children so my life is probably less complicated than yours in that I mainly only have myself to please. I do have family and i am involved in looking after my grandchildren but if I’m tired no one is greatly affected if I can’t help out. I actually have time and energy to do things for my Mum these days. Although I have to say she helps me more.

I go to an exercise class twice weekly that was initiated by the Neuro Physio department, I go to an MS group every week and I either go to a friends or they come to me to eat once a week. When people say “I don’t know how I had time to work” I know exactly what they mean. I am worse physically than I was when I ceased work but mentally and emotionally I am so much better. I am more relaxed, I eat better, I sleep better and I have started to like my life again.

It is a very large step you have had to take and much much earlier than you would have wished it to be but embrace this new chapter. Take time to get used to being free to do all the things you never had time or energy to do when working. If nothing else you now have time to do the weekly shop even if it does take all day.

Best wishes and welcome to the retirement club.

Jan x

3 Likes

Hi Fluff

I understand hun.

I had to retire early too…aged 47…63 now and those years have flown by.

A lot has happened…3 new grandkids to dote on and lots of family ups and downs.

I`ve gone through a few pastimes, like writing short stories, card making, jewellery making, quilting, and now I mostly chat here, on fcaebook and read the odd autobiography.

What you got planned?

luv Pollx

Congrats fluffyollie - I’m sure it’s for the best!

I’m currently going through early ill health retirement at 53 and after 4 months of being at home and not having to drag myself into work I feel so much better!

Am not sure how long it will take to finalise but am sure will feel a tad sad when I receive that final letter!

However I know it’s the right thing!!

Sue xx

Hi poll,

Thanks for your kind words which I really appreciate x

A few things in the pipeline including:

Getting my Portuguese up to a passable level as we’re off there on hols in August hooray!

Getting back my performing skills back on violin (have joined an orchestra) and piano to pre- relapse level

Writing resources for an educational company (crap percentage but it’s mainly to stop brain from melting)

Composing music on a very small scale- I used to do a lot of this before the kids)

Hauling my hairy stack down to the gym and trying to lose about 5 stones

…but most importantly to be a good dad and take a more active role in my kids’ lives.

These are the plans anyway. Thanks for asking xx

4 Likes

Hi sue,

I know what you mean. Ironically you feel more active and able to work because you’re NOT working… despite some reservations I am so pleased to no longer be working as I am now a better husband, father and human. Poorer yes, but richer as well. What was your work?

Fluffyollie xx

1 Like

Hi, fluff…funny innit, the way we get a mental picture of folk hereabouts?

With your username, I thought you were a lass!!!

You are very talented with your musical interests.

Good for you…enjoy your new life.

pollx

thanks jelly- really kind of you. the more i hear how the government is screwing up the education system, the gladder i am being out of it.

i hope things are working well for you xx

I know exactly what you mean Fluffyollie

I retired at the age of 52 and it was so upsetting at the time but I feel so much better no having to think about work and I find I have more energy to do things while when I was working it took so much out of me. When I got home from work I was fit for nothing.

I’m sure you will find lots to do and your quality of life will be much better.

Good luck Fluffyollie.

Shazzie xxx

Hi Jan

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the help/reassurance which you have given me. I am grateful and humbled. I have lots of plans, the most important being a good dad and at least present which mine wasn’t, but only because he was working so hard.

I have to admonish you for being so down on yourself and the role that you have had in creating loving, balanced individuals, who understand that MS is not only uncontagious but that grandparents can be equally loving, protective and fun as they should be. Any loving parent would be the same as you so please don’t give yourself any more grief than you have to. You are a caring and compassionate person.

Anyway it’s silly o’clock so I had better try and get some sleep. Take care, fluffyollie xx

1 Like

Hehe… I can see what you mean. Some may argue that I have lass-like qualities. I can’t multi-task though, mores the pity.

Your message was very kind and I appreciate it- I am not especially musically talented though, since our mutual friend robbed me of the use of my right hand… I am working on it. Sweet of you to say it however.

I hope you are managing to enjoy life poll xx

Hi Shazzie, ThAnks for your sweet message. You are a nice person x

Thinking about work is still a bit raw but one day at a time eh? What do you do to keep you out of trouble?

Fluffyollie xx