does the cold weather effect the aches and pains

I have heavy achey legs, that I’m used too, but now have found my arms and hands are affected and they continue to ache all the time and the hands don’t seem to work properly, could the drop in temperature be affecting it, even achy when i wake up in the morning the only meds i take are co-codamol 30/500 when i really can’t stand the pain, awaiting result of mri

Hi Cavalier,

I think this is another one of those “Depends on the person” questions!

A lot of people with MS find they are worse in hot weather, as a rise in body temperature often exacerbates symptoms. But I’m firmly in the hate-the-cold category, as like you, I find everything aches more in Winter. I also get more cramps, and they tend to start earlier in the evening - i.e. as soon as it gets dark.

I’m not saying Summers are completely trouble free, but in general, I feel much better than in Winter.

I’m a diagnosed person, by the way.

Tina

I hate the winter and the summer! The summer because it’s too hot and my fatigue goes crazy; the winter because it’s too cold and I develop all sorts of aches and pains. If I could find a place that is low 20s during the day plus nice and cool at night all year round, I would emigrate in a shot!

Karen x

I hate winter and summer to! Summer makes my hands and arm spasm more etc but winter makes everything hurt more. I have just bought some fingerless mittens (not fingerless gloves, so i don’t have a problem getting fingers in) to watch tv and press a button at same time! Where there’s a will there’s a way, as they say. For me I think a nice low 20 degrees is perfect too. Shame it doesn’t happen more often, maybe we could send a petition to the MET office : ) Mish x