does anyone know can ms cause deafness?

My husband keeps saying his hearing is not as it used to be,can ms affect your hearing?

Yes, it can. It can cause tinnitus and it can cause a loss of hearing with or without tinnitus.

Best to get a referral to ENT - get it checked out properly.

Karen x

Hi, like Karen says, yes ms can cause deafness.

It is quite rare I believe.

I am deaf in my right ear and it causes a lot of problems. In a crowded place I lose all sense of where sounds are coming from and as for conversation…well I hink Ive heard all sorts of daft things. Heres one;

I was in the shower and my carer, who was making my bed said;

Ill shave your feet today`. I felt like a werewolf and asked her why.

Apparently she had said she was taking her pup to the vet this week!

Mad, innit?

luv Pollx

It was actually deafness in one ear that prompted the first MRI that led to eventual diagnosis. He has been told that it is MS related.

Hi,

I was referred to a neurologist by ENT. I had mild bilateral hearing loss, tinnitus and balance problems. This led, eventually, to a diagnosis of MS.

Ben

Is this definite Rizzo? I’ve had tinnitus quoting 6 years ago, I told my neuro at time of first appointment and he dismissed it as irrelevant and not related to MS at all???

According to my kids I have had deafness well before a diagnosis so it doesn’t count as a symptom with me :wink:

[quote=“MGW”] Is this definite Rizzo? I’ve had tinnitus quoting 6 years ago, I told my neuro at time of first appointment and he dismissed it as irrelevant and not related to MS at all??? [/quote] Definite. I have bilateral tinnitus and have been told by both ENT and my neuro that it was caused by my MS attacking my auditory nerves. (No different to visual disturbances from MS attacking the optic nerves, well apart from the fact that’s the optic nerves and not the auditory nerves!) It’s also possible for MS to cause spasms in the ear which causes tinnitus (I think this might be a form of pulsatile tinnitus?). This can often be relieved by baclofen or another muscle relaxant I think. There are other causes though. Kx

Hi, like Rizzo I also have tinnitus that is apparently related to my MS. Bilateral but slightly louder on left side.

I saw an audiologist who says I also have mild hearing loss.

The tinnitus started about the same time as the MS… have it 24/7 but it is louder when my MS symptoms are bad, esp dizziness and double-vision.

Neurologist and MS nurse have both told me it’s related to my MS.

Pat x