Does alcohol help you walk?

I don’t usually drink, im not teetotal but it doesn’t take much to make me drunk and I don’t particularly enjoy it. However I was on holiday last week and on our last evening I had a couple more than my usual one or two holiday cocktails. I was nice and relaxed and when a reggae tune came on I decided even I could shuffle a little to the music so I danced, then I danced again then we sang on Kareoke then I danced again. About two in the morning we all decided we’d had enough and walked to the taxi rank detouring to the takeaway. I walked straight I could lift my leg meaning I didn’t have to swing it round from the hip as I usually do, I walked ahead of the group turning to say “look I’m walking” not only was I walking straight I was walking backwards! We got to the takeaway and I trotted up the three or four steps without using my stick or holding and dragging myself up by the handrail. I also walked down the steps without aid. Has anybody else noticed this happens to them? I do remember years ago my MS Nurse asking me if I drank as some people said it helped them. I have always said I don’t have spasticity but perhaps I do and the alcohol relaxed me.

All thoughts welcome.

It’s ironic, when sober I walk like a drunk and when drunk I walk like I’m sober.

Jan x

Mad isn’t it? Do it myself!!! If I’m going to look drunk when I walk I might as well have a few, besides I can’t fall out of a chair, can I!!! Tracey x

1 Like

Sorry to say my walking’s cr*p with or without alcohol.

If booze had a positive effect on me, I’d be drinking everyday!!!

Dom

1 Like

I guess it’s because a bit of alcohol loosens you up, smothers inhibitions and so forth.

A glass of wine makes me even less coordinated than normal, so it’s no benefit to me.

Here’s a thought…were you actually walking better, or just your alcohol-aided brain just think you were?

1 Like

Yes - alcohol relieves most of my symptoms. It’s a muscle relaxant, so will have a similar effect to prescription drugs like baclofen or diazepam.

I believe the mechanism of action is particularly similar to benzodiazepines like diazepam - one of the reasons people who struggle or have ever struggled with alcohol may be at higher risk of benzo addiction.

Says she, having a nice glass of wine.

Later I will take both baclofen and diazepam. I know it’s hardly recommended to mix and match all these, but what the heck, I have MS - I’m not about to become teetotal over it! The wine is the only thing that’s a bit naughty - the rest are exactly in accordance with the prescriptions, but they probably wouldn’t prescribe if I admitted to often mixing it with wine. Then again, the medical profession aren’t stupid - I’m sure they don’t believe everyone with MS quits drink as soon as they’re on any kind of symptom relief. They don’t ask, I don’t tell.

Tina

2 Likes

Haha no honest I walked better everyone said so…or maybe they were just humouring me.

I just can’t see how it would help. Maybe I don’t understand MS as I should, I always thought I didn’t walk properly because the messages that come from my brain to tell my legs what to do simply do not get through properly. Drunk or sober if the signals don’t get through the legs won’t do what is necessary.

Jan x

We are still human! Who says we can’t have a drink!!! People look at me sometimes, but I really don’t care, I’m ill, not dead!!! Tracey x

1 Like

But if your bad walking is at least partly down to spasticity (very tight muscles), alcohol will relax them and improve mobility.

Tina

x

1 Like

I’ve got a bottle of Tia Maria in the cupboard but no coke to go with it…yet.

Tina I think there’s a get out clause in the medication leaflet, says something like “if affected don’t drink” or is that “if affected don’t drive”

Jan x

Yes, it’s not absolute.

But many years ago, my mum (who doesn’t have MS, but was on it for another reason) made the mistake of admitting to having had a drink with diazepam (knowing my mum, it was literally a drink, not drinks, as she’s never been a heavy drinker).

They would never prescribe the diazepam again!

Tina

1 Like

I don’t have tight muscles Tina if anything they are wasting away. Sometimes my knee locks which can be dangerous especially on stairs.

Jan x

Ooh, Tia Maria’s lush in hot chocolate or coffee. Of course not the time of year for those, really!

Also, my mum made a fruit cake laced with it many years ago, that was wonderful! She was just using up a duty free bottle that she got when we came back from Italy, because it was just sitting in the cupboard. She put almonds on the top like on a Dundee cake and they all sank. But gosh that cake was delicious, and coming across a whole almond in the middle of a slice was lovely!

1 Like

No spasticity? Rather unusual, as most people with MS do - it’s a classic symptom.

Weakness and spasticity aren’t mutually exclusive. My muscles are both weak and very stiff - especially my calves.

Tina

It’s my favourite tipple and I think it might become a regular thing now

Jan x

Tia Maria is lush as a Black Russian, given me the idea now, bugger Tracey x

1 Like

I stopped drinking Black Russians years ago when I realised the Vodka gave me a hangover

Jan x

Vodka makes me sick, then gives me appalling hangovers. Evil stuff.

1 Like

Must be hardened!!! I love Voddie, but I NEVER get hangover, only with gin, so I don’t touch it!!! Tracey x

1 Like

I have noticed that alcohol seems to help as well, hence the reason for the constant 12 Pack of San MIguel residing in my fridge !!

1 Like

Hi Jan id like to say yes but from what i remember long before the MS i could barely walk on a Saturday night lol but i am off to a Biker Rally soon and will be taking a bottle of Bourbon with me lol so i will let you know

respect sheep

1 Like