DLA Tribunal

Hi folks,

Hope you are all bearing up in this cold weather!

I’m just looking for a wee bit of advice / help please.

I’m attending tribunal next week for my DLA appeal, I have a welfare officer accompaning me, but the panel will ask me questions and I’m wondering if anyone could offer me advice on answers etc…

Cheers

Jools

X

I would advise joining Benefits and Work website (£20.00 per anum) They have lots of advise re tribunals.

Good Luck

Jane

thanks Jane

X

Good luck, its 15 years ago when I had my tribunal, I did take my welfare officer. There were three people on the panel, a doctor, solicitor and a lady with ms (in a wheelchair) They were all very nice and they basically just asked questions that were on the form that you had filled in for your dla. I got my decision that same day. Hope it goes well for you. Maybe someone who has gone through it recently could post how it is today, but I doubt it will of,changed that much.x

Thanks Deanne,

I’m just apprehensive, I’ve been off work nearly 9 months and my confidence is rock bottom. Having someone on the panel with MS would have been a help I think, cause you mention MS and folk either dont know anything about it, or they know someone who has it and their perception of MS is however that person is af, fected, wether its severe or mild and the ups and downs. I had an atos doctor visit me at home and the write up from that was as if he was talking about someone else and had not actually looked at me to listened to a word I said.

Anyway, my welfare officer is really nice and my husband will be there too, as he’ll need to drive me there as its in the city centre and i’m not good with busy city driving.

Cheers

Jools

X

Good luck Jools. I got my MP to help when I got an award but not the right one I thought I needed. Whatever happens you can always get more help along the way.

We are all with you holding your hand and wishing you good luck.

bren

x

Thanks a lot bren! X

Hi Jools,

At the appeal there are 3 people asking questions, a doctor, solicitor and social services agent. Don’t worry there usually very nice and make you feel at home.

Just a few ideas of the way you should answer the questions.

While hobbling along the High Street I keep near to the shops. This aids me in two ways; I am less likely to fall into the road and I can stop and look in shop windows to get a rest. I can testify that Ann Summers has the best window display.

To get High Rate you must show you need help during the night. Say something like, “I get up 2/3/4 times per night to go to the toilet, sometimes to no avail.” “My husband has to accompany me; this takes about 45 minutes each time and obviously breaks his sleep.” “It’s amazing just knowing he is there gives me so much confidence.” “He has to accompany me because once I fell over and slept where I lay that night, good job it was the middle of summer and warm.”

Contact DIAL http://www.dialuk.info/ who will come around your house and help with the forms. Or Benefits and work http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ who give excellent advice costs £19.40 per year. The DLS give excellent free advice http://www.dls.org.uk/advice/factsheet/factsheets_download.html it is essential you get help. I see you have a Welfare Offcer going with you; excellent.

The hearing lasts about 20 minutes and then you are asked to go to another room. Another 20 minutes and then you are asked back in and told the result. It is very important to have someone attend with you.

Simple rule ‘don’t say one word when 100 will do’ in other words explain in detail. Always quote your worst; they appreciate MS is a variable condition but don’t you say it. Be very careful though as there are some mistakes you could make like do not say you’re housebound as that begs the question why do you need the mobility component? Say “I would like to go out more if I could afford to” The examples are that examples if they are not true don’t use them.

Mind you it depend on your personality; long; detailed replies means you must be confident. If you feel like you can’t keep answers as short as possible but make sure you fully answer the question.

Good luck

Thanks a lot for that advice, I do hope the panel I get are nice understanding folk and that they are not having a bad day!

I’ll have my welfare officer and my husband with me and I’ll take your advice and hope that I come across well, it is a bit daunting though!

It’s next Thursday, so i’ll come back online and say how I got on.

Thanks again for the tips

Jools

X

Hi

Take Janes advice join BENEFIT & WORK, it’s probably the best £20 you ever spent.

Ronin