Disabled facilities grant

I applied for this to get a wet room and downstairs room but my local council has refused it saying the house can’t be adapted it’s my mums house council though, so they have told me I need to get a place just me and daughter or a transfer as a family, but my mum thinks I won’t manage on my own my mobility is very poor can hardly walk and they will only give me a ground floor with walk in shower.

Well shame to say none in area such bad luck I’m having I don’t drive either so moving out of area isn’t good idea don’t want to change daughters school, my mobility is bad due to stiff joints this has started to become and effect my back and stomach, my balance is so poor right now I’ll see what physio says about it tomorrow because it’s bad I’ll need to miss uncles funeral.

Just want some advice I wouldn’t like to live along at moment and my mum doesn’t want to leave area so I’m at a dead end and don’t really know what to do I have a few weeks to decide only :frowning:

Hello Alysea.

According to the Gov web site the eligibility criteria is as follows:

You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must:

• own the property or be a tenant
  • intend to live in the property during the grant period (which is currently 5 years)

You can also apply for a grant if you’re a landlord and have a disabled tenant.

The council needs to be happy that the work is:

• necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs
  • reasonable and can be done - depending on the age and condition of the property

It might be worth calling Citizens’ Advice and the MS society help line about this. They might just be being bloody minded in order to avoid costs.

It sounds like you have a good case-it might depend on how long you’ve been living there and your status as a resident. I’m no expert but there is help out there. I’m sure someone else will have even better ideas.

Best wishes, Steve

Hi, Alysea,

Have you had someone around to do an assessment? Local Councils can be difficult and say no before they have even assessed the situation, years ago we had to have an adaptation for my Autistic daughter we got it in the end but you can usually expect to be turned down at first, also you have a right to stay where you are and not be forced to move, for years iv’e had to battle to get my daughter the help she needed and twice iv’e been to an ombudsman and won. Shes 24 now and no longer lives at home shes in a residential adult house for people with learning difficulties, things are a lot easier but i still have to fight to get her what she needs. I hope this helps… don’t give up saying that it is much easier to fight for our children than ourselves…if its for my children i’m like a lioness but fighting for myself i find much harder.

Take care Michelle x

Community gateway own the property and they are saying it is not suitable to have an extension but it is the garden is massive, we don’t want to move been here since I was 16 and I’m now 35 so long time no OT assessment but my physio lady is going to see if her OT can come and assess me.

I rather just stay here if I can so if anyone can help that happen I would love that I just need a extra room for daughter she’s sharing mine and my bed it’s not ideal really, I’m in a bad way right now so living alone not ideal my mum does a lot for me can I just say a big thank you to you all this means a lot to us as a family.

Thank you x

There main reason for no is cause once adapted they are hard to rent out such idiots they will only slow a property with walk in shower they said it’s annoying there reasons was stupid.

Spoke to Ms society lovely people got some help numbers mainly for legal advice Ms grants, I didn’t even know you could get these wow, anyone ever had one?

Amazing what they can do to help I had no idea, anyone took the driving lessons they offer that’s something I want when eyes are well enough.

Silly question my sister thinks you can go from PPMS to not so progressive she’s in dreamland right?

Thanks Marie x

Thought it’s time you knew my real name x