Diagnosed verbally in June confirmed today

Today I got my diagnosis of MS… not sure what kind I have or anything !!!
This has been going on since January I started having shooting pains over the left side of my face, imagine plugging you teeth into the largest power you can think of then hit by lightning at the same time. Called my doctors and was told it sounds dental 3 teeth out and 2 lots of antibiotics the same pain doctors still claiming its dental. Fourth dentist different surgery he refused to pull another go back to the doctor. I saw a clinical practitioner you have trigeminal neuralgia. Gave me meds… worked for 3 days pains were back honestly to cut it short in the space of six months some days I was taking nineteen tablets and oarmorphstrong text now I am down to six carbamazepine each is 200mg and 50mg of amitriptyline and some fantastic medical plasters that have helped me sleep through the night. MRI revealed lots of white mass which is causing the facial pain, Now I wait for a letter from the MS team to progress going forward. Apparently if my doctor never pushed for the MRI and my appointment with the neurologist like my husband and those around me they were worried I would not see Christmas due to the pain and to be honest more than once I had thought about ending it because the pain was so bad. Sorry to go on but I needed to calm down before I go to bed.

Hello,
Welcome. Yes I called the Lhermitte’s Sign shooting pains too when I was younger, although the electric stun was up and down back of my neck; that was 20+ years ago.
I had the constant tingling on left side of face, which made that side droop a bit.
Back then, the only pain relief I had was a technique called Bowen Therapy, which I used to massage the back of my neck; seemed to ease symptoms and slowly but surely my MS completely retreated --it made its unwanted return about a decade later.
Best,
JP

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I have never had TN, thank goodness, but have heard others describe the pain in the same way as you, and it sounds hideous. I am also sorry that you have sacrificed three good teeth needlessly. I’m afraid I’ve heard of that before too. That all sounds pretty grim, and I really hope things get a bit easier for you soon.

Hi PinkHair. Sorry you have been having such a hard time. I had trigemminal neuralgia some 6 or so years ago and yes , each time it felt as if I had been hit with a bolt of lightning or similar - hard enough to stun me and knock me to the ground. I can’t remember what my GP gave me but I’m pleased to say that in my case the TN disappeared after something like 6-8 weeks. I hope that it goes of its own accord for you as well.

I’m guessing that you will now have a bit of a frustrating wait before your next appointment about MS but with luck the team will be able to help and/ or advise on the TN.

In my case I got the MS diagnosis some 16-17 years ago. It’s a scary time but the treatments these day do slow down the development of MS. I know that every case of MS is different and particular to the individual but please feel free to ask me any questions about my experience over the last 16- 17 years

1 Like