Forum

dental implants

I have been told by my dentist that I will need to consider implants for my teeth due to M.S. affecting the bones in my mouth due to my immune system being very low, as I also have had my lymph glands removed for breast cancer, is there any financial help for dental implants as I have been told it is very expensive

Hi

To be honest, I’ve never even heard of dental implants, let alone needing them because of MS! I’d speak to your neuro first about it, to see if it’s really necessary. If you do decide to go ahead with it, then you could try applying to your local MS Society branch for a grant, or try searching this site to see if there’s anything you could get help from - http://www.disability-grants.org/grants-for-disabled-adults-general.html

Dan

Hi, my hubby is a dental technician and yes there are such things as implants, yes there expensive as they take quite a lot of prep work, firstly speak to you dentist about a payment plan, a friend of mine, well her daughter has just had one fitted and the dentist was very happy for her to pay it off in installments, if you can’t afford that, then contact your local MS branch, good luck. x

As I understand it, implants are screwed into the jawbone. Would that mean the Jawbone has to be strong and healthy? If the bones in your mouth have been affected I would be seeking a second opinion on the implants.

Best wishes

Jan x