Deep muscle massage

lts 4 weeks since l had my total knee replacement op. l have been doing all the exercises advised - and attending physio class at the local hospital. The young physios [about 12 yrs old] at the hospital get you to do the exercises and come round and measure the angle that you can bend the knee up - and how flat you can straighten it. So far, they are amazed at how well l have done - but l feel l could - or would like to - do better. So l contacted a friend who studied ‘Sports lnjury’ therapy. He came - with his daughter - who he is training - to give my legs a good massage this morning. He worked on getting the tight knotted muscles relaxing and better blood flow. lt was my MS leg that he felt needed to be worked the most. And amazingly, after a good massage and manipulation my dead foot started to move - on its own - and toes came to life.

l feel more upright now - and less drag on that ms leg. They will come again next week.

l first met this chap - many years ago - at our local college where he was training. The colleges need lots of ‘guinea pigs’ as the students need several ‘case histories’ to get their qualifications.

So if any of you live near a college that teaches Sport Therapies - do contact them and see if you can go for treatment. They are well taught - and of course the tutor watches and demonstrates. They also will check your walking gait - and can provide bespoked inner soles to go into your shoes to help support your foot/ankle - which can make such a difference to painful feet/knees/hips/back.

We all will suffer with muscle wastage - because of how we overcompensate to get around with foot-drop/spasticity etc. So it is important to keep everything working well. And improve blood circulation.

I must offer a word of caution on this, as I had this kind of massage when I didn’t know my problem was MS, and could literally not walk for a couple of days afterwards. I would never, ever do it again. My muscles reacted by tightening even more the next day - so I couldn’t even put my heels down on the floor.

Luckily, I worked from home at the time, as there would have been no chance at all of leaving the house.

The problem is, you don’t know if it will hurt or help before you try. I absolutely could not have foreseen I would have such a reaction, as I had no idea I had MS. But it was that physio who commented I had the shortest calf muscles he’d ever seen, and asked if I’d been ill. I, of course, had no idea what he was talking about, but I did know it was abnormal not to be able to walk next day, after a simple, if robust, massage.

Please be careful, folks.

Tina

x

Oh Frances, I wanted to say how marvelous your post is and that I am so pleased how much it has helped you.

Then I see it didnt turn so out well for our Tina.

Shame, for every plus, there`s a minus eh?

luv Pollx

Poll,

l used to have a weekly massage session with this same person - and what a difference it made. l only stopped because of the cost - and OH’s retirement. He charged me £30 this morning - and they were here one and threequarter hours. l feel so much better - and l shall try to keep having the treatment as long as l can. Wish my daughter could learn - then perhaps l could have it everyday. He starts off very slowly - warming up the muscles - then goes through about 4types of massage before then gently slowing down to relax. He was explaining everything to his daughter - using all the ‘latin’ names for each muscle/ligament/joint - and explaining to her how the heart pumps the blood only so far down the body - then it relies on the muscles to carry the blood further down to the feet and back again - carrying all the ‘waste’. This is why it is so important to keep muscles working well. All very well for people able to walk well - and exercise. But not so good for folk like you and l.

l was surprised at how l was able to lie on my front - out flat - after about an hour - with no discomfort to my new knee. And so far have not had to take any painkillers. Already, l am able to get up off a chair easier - and walk more upright. Hopefully, l might be more comfortable in bed tonight. Shall certainly try to massage my legs myself everyday. Especially feet and ankles. They did watch me walk up and down - before and after the treatment. And l was more upright [with rollator] - and less drag on my ms leg - and a straighter gait - good swing through with following leg.

Next time he wants me to have a full back/neck/shoulder massage as well. l am looking forward to that. lf money was no object - need to win the lottery - l would have my own personal therapist.

Oh Frances, when I used to go to the hospice for weekly therapy, I had reflexology, back, shoulder and neck massages. I do miss them.

My morning carer has recently started exercising my legs, as advised by a physio.

The cost of therapies is expensive.

Hope you continue to benefit and enjoy your`s.

luv Pollx

ps Ive pmd you about something else.

I get a weekly massage I’d rather do without food but my therapist had been in Tenerife I always walk much easier after her session x