Forum

Dealing with down days

Hi all, I was just wondering how people deal with
Depression. I have always suffered from depression but since being diagnosed it seems to have stepped up a gear. I literally have no control when I am going to burst in to tears next. Then I cry more as I don’t know why I am crying. I did have a go at CBT but it was in a group and I found that some of the things they suggested where not practical for me. Then I was meant to have one to one but I got sick and miss aweek so they cancelled it ! I started to take vitamin B6 as someone said that can help , I am yet to see the benefits . Any suggestions welcome at this point . I’m beginning to get worried … Thanks Anna xAx

I was trying to avoid the tablet route to be honest , but I think I need to do if for a while , if nothing to put me back a bit level . I didn’t find CBT helpful as it was in a group and some of the things that were suggested where just not realistic for me to carry out.
Unfortunately I seem to be bursting in to tears at the wrong time. I was a friends last night and he told me something that deep down I had a feeling was happening ( bloke I was seeing is now sleeping with someone who was meant to be a friend) and I was then a wreck, it was like the flood gate had been opened and I couldn’t.t stop it ,I crying about everything. About the attitude I have had off co workers cause I get sick, the letter my company dr had to put together, the strain on my folks and the big one of being on my own … I looked like Alice cooper by the end xAx

I’ve battled depression for years and in many ways I’d sooner get rid of that than the MS. I was very bad and had no choice but to have tablets. Thank God! They gave me a life. I still have depressive episodes but I’m sooo much better. I take venlafaxine and this is augmented by a low dose of an antipsychotic. I imagine I’ll always have to take them as I don’t cope at all well unmedicated, but that’s a small price to pay for being able to function and enjoy things.

People demonise antidepressant medication, but you’d take a medication for pain or any other symptom so there’s no reason to continue suffering. You may benefit from just a short course, but if you need them longer there’s no shame. Go and see your GP.

I’ll also add, antidepressants take a while to work but if you don’t notice an improvement after a couple of months go back to the doc - there’s a lot of trial and error in getting it right, and you might need a different doseage or even a different pill. I took five different things before we found what worked! Thank gosh for a good psychiatrist :slight_smile:

Good luck. Don’t suffer x

I think it’s time to go back to my gp , when I used to go through a bad spell I used keep myself busy. But due to me having a bad issue with the fatigue at the moment I cant shake out of it .
Sadly my weekends are spent resting as I am using all energy to go to work 5 days in a row.
Thanks
xAnnax

Anna, l think you will find that it is vitamin b 12 that you need. Ask your GP  for a blood test - as the best way of taking this vit b12 is by injections. Look up - on-line vitamin b12 deficiency ms -  and another brilliant one is 'Could it be B12'.

l also take LDN - which l find is the answer to a lot of my MS symptoms. l have had SPMS for 30yrs - but only found out about LDN - [from the good people on this forum] 3yrs ago. lt makes me feel more alive - more positive - more able to cope with other symptoms. No brain fog - far less fatigue - and no trigeminal neuralgia which l suffered from for years.

Best wishes to you

Frances.

Hello love. as much as we don`t want to go on anti depressants, sometimes that is the only way left to try to bring some peace into our lives.

There are some meds for this which are non addictive, so you wouldn`t have to be on them for a long time.

My sis takes citalopram.............she tried without and couldn`t cope. she will now be on them forever, but says she would rather that than have the awful feelings she had before.

We need to find some way to save ourselves.............we`re worth it, y`know!

luv Pollx

Hi, I have just started taking tablets. I was like you, for ages shrugging off the idea that I was depressed and hating the thought of tablets. I had visions of being doped up! I had a big talk with family,and then my GP, and after lots of tears he gave me citalopram. After only 6 days my friends noticed the difference in me, and I seemed to be almost back to normal. I am now 4 weeks into taking it and I feel great and am so glad I did. Hope you have a good experience like I did.

Lynne x

Hi Jeannie,
Sorry you are not sleeping good right now, the added tiredness with the normal fatigue is probably taking it out of you, I would go to your see your Gp and see if there is anything they can help with, have you tried nytol tablets before bed I used them when I was in hospital for a long period ( you can never rest in hospital). Always around If you wanna pm me, let me know how you get on xAnna x

Hi Jeannie,
Sorry you are not sleeping good right now, the added tiredness with the normal fatigue is probably taking it out of you, I would go to your see your Gp and see if there is anything they can help with, have you tried nytol tablets before bed I used them when I was in hospital for a long period ( you can never rest in hospital). Always around If you wanna pm me, let me know how you get on xAnna x

Hi Jeannie,

Ok not sure why that posted 3 times ???

I think for me personally i am going to see my gp this week. If nothing else to get me on a less emotional wreck path for a while. Who knows it might help me get the confidence back that I have lost more recently. I just want to be able to go out with out the feeling people are staring at me xAx