Cryotherapy

Hi I’m Matt, this is the first time I’ve used the forum - your patience is appreciated!
I’m a 63 year old former international rugby player (old rugby!) with SPMS. I used a variety of “ice” therapies to recover from exercise fatigue and injury when I played.
I know this has been asked before, but does anybody have any experience of using current cryotherapy facilities? Does it help?
Regards
Matt

Hi Matt
How long is it since you used ice therapies? I ask as since the onset of MS (PP in my case and I’m 60) I have to be extremely careful using any temperature treatments, hot or cold. Lifelong sports player including rugby (a few levels below you) so ice baths, saunas etc. were regular recovery plays.

I use heat gently in localised form only now: wheat bags heated in microwave or cold gel packs from freezer.
Graeme

Hi Matt,
I went straight in at SPMS, 16yrs ago now, I’m now nearly 64yrs. I was always into sport, from weight training to horse riding, step you name it I did it. amoung other symptoms I do suffer a lot with nerve pain, heat and cold, for the heat I find really cold pads are great, I don’t even know anything about cryotheraphy so will be really interested to hear what other’s have to say, as this is something I might try, good luck with your replies.
Jean

Hi Matt

I have no experience of any of these therapys but which rugby team did you play for. I bloody love rugby and want to give wheelchair rugby a go at some point.

Sam x

Hi there,
I’m a Rugby fan; would have gone to support this weekend if not down with another relapse in as many weeks.
If ice baths work for you, by all means.
Due to heat intolerance, I have no choice but to take cold showers.
Good luck and best.

Hi, thanks for your comments, temperature sensitivity has been a key response from folk, i remain wary of any therapies that use extreme temperatures for helping MS.
Cheers
Matt

Hi Sam,
Delighted you’re a rugby fan, I played for Scotland ‘86 - ‘89.
Wheelchair rugby looks amazing - very exciting (and rough!).
All the best
Matt

1 Like

Hi Jean
Thanks for your comments. It’s all still under investigation!
Everyone’s responses seem to highlight real sensitivity to hot and cold environments!
I don’t do saunas anymore and I’m not a Wim Hoff fan either!
I’ll keep researching before I plunge in.
Matt

Hi Graeme
Your background in sports sounds very familiar, I haven’t used any ice therapy since i played - 30 years ago! I used to have ice foot baths at the physio’s for my ankles - basic but effective.
My heat/cold tolerance isn’t great either and I’m still a bit wary of any “therapies” that use extreme temperatures!
Thanks for your feedback.
Matt