Forum

Could daughter also have ms

I have been almost diagnosed(99.9% sure according to neurologist) but my daughter has been complaining of similar symptoms to me, even though I dont talk about my symptoms. She is 18 years old & is saying that she forgets what she was going to say half way through a sentence, that was my first noticeable symptom. She also suffers anxiety sometimes but not lately, she has a tingly sensation in her legs, bowel & bladder problems while also complaning of tiredness & headaches. I was going to ask my doctor to request an MRI scan. Im not normally panicky but really want to rule MS out. Ahat do you think her chances of having an MRI are?

Well, it is possible, of course - first degree relatives of people with MS (indeed, blood relatives in any degree, but mostly first) do have an increased risk compared to the general population.

However, studies have shown that in families where more than one member is affected, age of onset is generally pretty similar (although they don’t necessarily have a similar disease course apart from that).

So unless you have had symptoms since your teens, which have only lately been investigated/taken seriously, it seems unlikely your daughter would start so very much younger (if it was MS, that is). If she had developed symptoms about the same age you first did, I’d rate it as more likely.

I don’t think an MRI would likely be the first investigation in such a case. And don’t forget that, whilst it may not feel like it to you, your daughter is legally an adult now, so I’m not sure you can request tests and investigations on her behalf (or if you do, that they can be acted upon), as that is now a matter for her. It is up to you, of course, whether you want to discuss it with her, and attempt to steer her in a particular direction, or whether you feel that will only scare her unnecessarily.

Does she know what you are being investigated for, and your likely diagnosis? If so, it might still be a case of suggestion, as she would very likely have Googled it, whether you talk about your symptoms or not, so she won’t be clueless about possible symptoms - not if she has normal curiosity, anyway.

I’m not a mum, but do understand your fears, and wanting to be sure. On the other hand, I’m not sure I’d want to broach the subject of MS (with the chances being fairly low) for fear of distressing her - especially if she suffers or has suffered from anxiety. I’m awfully tempted to say that if it is MS, the truth will out, come what may, so is there much to be gained by sowing the seed in her mind, at this stage? It’s not unreasonable that you should suggest she goes to the doctor (if she hasn’t already decided to anyway), but whether you should go further and mention your fears, or even suggest that she should be asking for an MRI, I’m not so sure.

I would think it prudent to rule out more basic things, like simple vitamin deficiency, before voicing any concerns that she “might have MS”, and suggesting she needs a neurologist. Why not just agree that a trip to the GP is in order, and see how things unfold? The GP is no doubt aware of the family background, and will arrange a referral IF he/she suspects any connection.

Tina

My daughter had lots of MS symptoms and she went to see a great GP who got her an MRI scan,which came back clear and beautifully normal.

She went to work in London and had a blood test and she was very low on B12. Pernicious anemia was the diagnosis and she had lots of B12 injections and felt a lot better.

Hopefully your daughter will have a similar outcome. Fingers crossed x

as said by Tina, there is indeed a greater chance for offspring to get MS. my mum had it and now i have it and so…

however, once you have MS, how the disease functions to impact your life is completely variable and individual to the sufferer.

it would be of remarkable coincidence for a daughter to not only be afflicted by the same lurgy, but for it to exhibit the exact same symptoms.

the auto-immune attack on the neurological system provoked by MS has miles of axons and neurons and white matter etc to work its evil magic upon. my mum had MS and now i have it, but our symptoms are vastly different; completely incomparable.

i would base any investigation on something immediately more manageable, such as a dietary / vitamin deficiency which could manifest such symptoms.

as for age of onset… i was diagnosed in my early 40s… (it is possible i had been ignorantly labouring on for many years). my mum meanwhile, joined the MS club in her late 20s.

Do google ‘Could it be B12’ An Epidemic of Misdiagnosis. Many people who had a MS diagnosis were found to have a B 12 deficiency. lt mimics MS and other neurological illnesses. And of course people with MS - do have problems absorbing B Vits and Vitd3 and need very high dose supplements.

Thank you all for your replies, sorry it’s taken so long for me to reply but I couldn’t remember my password lol. Taking daughter to go next week so will definitely ask about bit b12 deficiency. Will let u all know how it goes x

If your daughter has MS, early treatment with powerful drugs could make a huge difference to the course of the disease, and the course of her life. If her B12 levels are normal, she should definitely seek to have tests (MRI etc) which could tell her if she has MS.