Constant worrying of MS - Symptoms?

Hi all,

For the past couple of years all I’ve been worried about was that I’ll get MS or another autoimmune disease. My mum was diagnosed with it when I was just 2 years old, her grandma had motor neurons disease and my brother has Graves’ disease.

Safe to say something must run in the family! I’m only 23 but I’ve had quite a few symptoms come up that me being a worrier I always relate them to MS. The last 6 months I’ve had achy ligaments and muscles like to the point where I rub my hands down my legs and it just feels like they’re bruised underneath constantly, I always feel pain from them. The lower right side of my back has been painful since July last year even if I bend over or slightly move I can feel it, I feel like the words I’m thinking I can’t get out properly and I get confused about simple things like my brains just not working properly and my memory is terrible. I’m constantly tired and I have aches like I’ve worked out when I’ve done nothing? Twitches in my muscles, It’s like all my energy has just gone. I’m constantly going to the loo and I get tingling in my feet and legs and my right eye has been blurry for a couple of years now and I get pain from behind it when I move my eyes, I also get a rush of tingles that go right through my body. I feel like I’m going nuts and that it’s all in my head.

im going to make an appointment with my GP soon and get referred to a neurologist. I’ve been putting it off because I’m scared to death of the outcome, I’ve basically convinced myself I have MS or another terrible illness, it’s really affecting my mental state as it’s all I’m thinking about. I saw my mum deteriorate from this disease who now can’t do anything for herself and it’s heartbreaking, I just don’t really know what to do or how to go about it.

Sorry for the long post I just need some advice.

hello

good that you are going to book in to see your GP soon.

whilst you are there, ask him/her to refer you to the bladder and bowel clinic.

there are many reasons for always needing the loo (mine is overactive bladder) and there are medications for these.

this one is a toughie - don’t let your imagination run away with you.

you will eventually be seen by a neurologist so until s/he says the words “you have ms”, put it on a back burner.

mindfulness meditation helped me loads.

the materials i used were the Breathworks Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief.

there is a lot of info online if you google it.

look after your mental health!!

carole x

Hi

The fact you have come on here is a start and a good source of support for you. I only got diagnosed 6 weeks ago so my head is a bit all over the place still. But in some ways I’m relieved for answers finally to problems I was having. I know it must be difficult especially as your mum has MS, but from what I have read so far is doesn’t mean it is the same for everyone. Plus first things first, get yourself to GP first and maybe get referral to a neurologist. I know you are worried about what they will say but the not knowing what is going on is making you worse and to be honest the stress you’re under is probably not helping. So first things first, take it one step at a time. Good luck