Confused about vitamin D3 for children

Hi I’m hoping someone could help with D3 dosages. I want to do anything I can to help my children and the consistent opinion seems to be D3 supplementation! I’ve just purchased a liquid dropper bottle, which is 200iu per 0.5 ml drop and it recommends 1-2 drops a day (1 drop being 100% RDA??). Anyway, I’ve read that it should be much higher than this. They both take a multi-vit with 200iu, so I’ll be using the dropper to top this up. What are the recommendations? My children are 3 years and 5 years. Also, is 200iu the same as 5mcg? I can’t decipher the measurement on the box!!! Many thanks X

This thread should answer your question.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/everyday-living/vitamin-d3-1

This is from the Barts & London blog.

NEW RECOMMENDED DAILY ALLOWANCES FOR VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENTATION FROM EFSA

Adults 18 years or older = 4,000 U/day or 100 micrograms/day
Children 11-17 years of age = 4,000 U/day or 100 micrograms/day
Children 1-10 years of age = 2,000 U/day or 50 micrograms/day
Infants less than 1year of age = 1,000 U/day or 25 micrograms/day
Maximum safe dose or NOAEL = 11,000 U/day or 275 micrograms/day
http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/survey-results-vitamin-d.html

This is from the Barts & London blog.

NEW RECOMMENDED DAILY ALLOWANCES FOR VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENTATION FROM EFSA

Adults 18 years or older = 4,000 U/day or 100 micrograms/day
Children 11-17 years of age = 4,000 U/day or 100 micrograms/day
Children 1-10 years of age = 2,000 U/day or 50 micrograms/day
Infants less than 1year of age = 1,000 U/day or 25 micrograms/day
Maximum safe dose or NOAEL = 11,000 U/day or 275 micrograms/day

Thank you both! I won’t worry then about them having a multi vitamin plus a couple of droppers as that’ll still only be 600iu! A few extra droppers and lots of sunshine (yeah right!!) and they’ll be good. X

Hello Emma-C

Try to avoid using sun protector cream with an SPF greater than 25. The cancer scare is valid but the pendulum has swung right over and the consequences are only now being realised… I know it does not apply to the children but do bear in mind that make-up and foundation cream have an SPF built into them.

Not enough people know enough about Vitamin D, pleased that youare thinking about it.