Chest Pain??

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

On Wednesday morning I was awoken by an extreme pain in my upper chest. It felt like there was something stuck in my chest slightly off to the right but I hadn’t eaten in hours and the pain woke me up, the pain radiated from my chest straight through to my back. The pain would come in waves. It felt like a pressure or a squeezing sensation that would come and go every 5-10 seconds and that lasted for about two hours. I went to the er, and the doctor wasn’t sure what it was, he said maybe it was acid reflux but I had no burning or anything coming back up into my mouth, so he wasn’t sure. Has anyone experienced anything like this and could it be related to ms? I don’t have my appt until January 2015 :(, which is so annoying because I was first referred back in January of this year but went back in to my doctor because of another weird symptom, and my doctor sent another letter hoping to speed things up and that was in June and the neuro finally did call and said there was a six month waiting list, and if they called back when I was first referred than I would be getting in, and I asked about my first referral and she saw it but doesn’t know what happened. So frustrated. Anyway thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

hi irishtwins

the pain in your chest could be the ms hug, or as it could be more accurately named the “grip of death”.

this happens because the intercostal muscles (between your ribs) go into spasm.

take any neuropathic painkillers that you have, find a comfortable position and wait for it to go away.

i instinctively hug myself.

breathe slowly and try to rest.

carole x

Hi, I fully agree with Carole’s name grip of death. It is very frightening but the explanation she has given you is exactly how my gp describes it. I take Valium and find this helps make it bearable. Try to relax when it hits, I know this is easier said than done but it does help.

Regards,

ann

Hi, I fully agree with Carole’s name grip of death. It is very frightening but the explanation she has given you is exactly how my gp describes it. I take Valium and find this helps make it bearable. Try to relax when it hits, I know this is easier said than done but it does help.

Regards,

ann

Could also still be related to acid reflux even if not directly accompanied by reflux . If you have suffered from it for a period it can damage the gullet which will then cause intermittent pain behind the chest