can ms affect both sides of your body

Hi guys can anyone tell me if you can have symptoms on both sides mine have always been on the left side but for the last two weeks have had tingling and twitches in my right hand.Best wishes to all. Lynda

My left side is most affected too but I get symptoms on the right too.

Best wishes

1 Like

Thankyou for the reply i wasnt sure .best wishes to you

you are not the first to ask this. I don’t mean to sound rude, but I don’t get why it’s such a common myth it can only affect one side. It can affect absolutely anywhere, and just depends where the lesions form - which is luck of the draw. Generally speaking (this is a big over-simplification, but generally speaking), the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and vice versa. So if you have lesions on the left side, you can expect problems on the right. If you have lesions on both sides (not at all uncommon, and no reason why you shouldn’t), you can expect symptoms both sides.

I think maybe people confuse it with stroke, and think there’s only one key area of damage. With multiple sclerosis there are typically multiple areas of damage (hence the name!), so the effects can be many and varied. Usually not everywhere all at once, because just a few lesions tend to be active at once - with luck, older ones repair, but not always perfectly.

So symptoms at any time just depend which lesions are active at that time. Your pattern of lesions is personal to you, and it’s very unlikely any two people, by chance, have the exact same pattern of lesions. That’s the reason people with the same illness can experience very different symptoms - their lesions aren’t in the same places.

Tina

x

1 Like

Thankyou Tina thats really helped me you explained it clearly all the best.