Buzzing newbie - long post

Hello all,

First time on here for me. It seems to be a very supportive place where people can just talk about what’s happening to them. So here we go!

I’ve been told I’ve ‘probably’ got MS, and am waiting for an appointment next month to ‘probably’ get this confirmed. It seems that I’ve been lucky in a way as I was admitted as an emergency patient and, though I had to stay in hospital for a week, it meant I got an MRI scan, lumbar puncture and a trial dose of steroid treatment set up in that time. I can see that a lot of people have to wait a very long time to get to the same stage, which must be a real trial. This is bad enough as it all feels unreal - they are treating me as though I’ve got MS but haven’t confirmed it yet. I am reading as much as I can about it and thinking how to plan ahead, and then feeling bad because I haven’t definitely ‘got it’.

I’ve had constant discomfort in and around my right eye and distorted vision that makes it a chore to read for about 6 weeks (this is what led to A&E admission, after a very bad visual fields test at the opticians). Unfortunately the steriods had no positive effect and its been a few weeks since treatment now. At least I can recognise and better manage the fatigue that has been knocking me out for months, though having a lie down in the sick room at work feels very odd - a bit humiliating? Though I;ve got to get over that - if I’ve got it!

The new thing that has driven me to post is the ‘buzzing’ sensation I’m getting in my left hand and foot. It isn’t very strong but it is definitely there, coming in little pulses like an electric current. I’ve also had some involuntary movements in my left hand, which sporadically gets painful and feels very heavy, and the sense that it is just about to move - which is particularly odd and hard to describe. And I often misjudge my grip and drop things… though I’ve always been a bit clumsy. Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks for reading - I’m going to have some tea now - yummy food is great!

Hi There,

It does sound like they suspect M.S, and they appear be treating you as though you have it,but without an officially diagnosis.

I am undiagnosed at present and my case is complex. My post should be placed today. I too suffer with the clumsiness and burning/tingling sensations, but my pins and needles are the worst and the most the frequent. My husband will pass me things and I miss it and everything ends up on the floor! I walk into the door frames and stumble when I walk. The buring sensations are common in M.S and can happen, I beleive on almost any part of the body. For me, most of the buring sensations are in my torso and face, and pins and needles are in my limbs.

Sounds as though you are being treated efficiently and effectively, so thats a good thing for you, hopefully they will be able to give you a definate diagnosis if your tests are positive. Good Luck, and hope all goes well xx

Hi There,

It does sound like they suspect M.S, and they appear be treating you as though you have it,but without an officially diagnosis.

I am undiagnosed at present and my case is complex. My post should be placed today. I too suffer with the clumsiness and burning/tingling sensations, but my pins and needles are the worst and the most the frequent. My husband will pass me things and I miss it and everything ends up on the floor! I walk into the door frames and stumble when I walk. The buring sensations are common in M.S and can happen, I beleive on almost any part of the body. For me, most of the buring sensations are in my torso and face, and pins and needles are in my limbs.

Sounds as though you are being treated efficiently and effectively, so thats a good thing for you, hopefully they will be able to give you a definate diagnosis if your tests are positive. Good Luck, and hope all goes well xx

Hi Becca

I am not dx, but I get the buzzing feeling a lot. I can get it anywhere, but mostly in my legs and arms. If I sit with my feet on the floor it feels as if there is a huge juggernaut going past the window (despite the fact we live in a quiet cul-de-sac away from any main roads!!!)

I, too, am very clumsy and this seems to be getting worse lately. I can’t seem to judge distances etc any more, and actually shut a cupboard door onto my head the other day as I didn’t seem to be able to work out the fact that my head was in line with the door! Weird!!

I am pleased for you that they are on your case, although I’m sure you would prefer it if you didn’t have this probabl diagnosis. At least they are giving you some answers to your problems and are obviously doing what they can to help you.

This forum is great! You will find loads of lovely people on here who are more than happy to answer any questions or allay any fears you may have.

Take care xx

Hi BeccaT

I’ve been possible MS for the last year as though all my symptoms fit with MS and all other investigations have come back fine my MRI lesions aren’t conclusive so we’re on a wait and watch.

The buzzing is all to familiar it’s part and parcel with parasthesia - numbness/ crawling/ itching / buzzing etc. It’s annoying but necessarily harmful depending on how easy it is for you to ignore. There are neuropathic meds that can be given if these symptoms get really bad.

I was clumsy for a spell but didn’t think too much of it. I’d loose grip on my bag and it would just drop, or I’d drop the pan if it was quite heavy etc. But this has all gone now :slight_smile:

I hope you get some clear answers for your symptoms. But in the mean time this forum is great for sounding out new symptoms/ problems etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Reemz

X

Hi Becca and welcome to the forum.

I buzz too. Odd isn’t it. I am not dx and am in early stages of investigation.

I describe the buzzing as feeling like a mobile phone is on vibrate. Like you, mine pulses. I get it in my feet and groin and also I have a patch on my thigh and back. Despite having it for a while now, it always seems to catch me by surprise and I reach for my mobile everytime it happens (why I think a mobile phone would be on my foot, I have no idea, but check I do.)

Good luck with your appointment next month. Let us know how you get on.

Angela xx

Thanks for supportive comments everyone - nice to be able share experienced without hearing ‘ooh it’s a trapped nerve’ or ‘maybe you’ve been sitting funny’… Nope, it really does feel different to anything I’ve felt before! I like the mobile phone description Angela :slight_smile: hope people get that if you tell them. My sensations aren’t very strong or prolonged - just odd. I’d like my eye to sort itself out ASAP but coming to see this is a long waiting game!

Hi and welcome, Like you I ended up in hospital (for 3 weeks) so had a lot of tests more quickly than other folks. I was told by the ward doctors that they suspected MS from the brain lesions on the MRI but as I passed the visual evoked potentials test they don’t seem so sure now and have ordered another MRI. IV steroids didn’t work for me either. I get the buzzing, and one hand, arm, calf and foot is numb/painful/tingly. My walking is badly affected now. I seem to get slightly different symptoms each day and have had twitches, balance problems, hearing problems, spasticity etc etc. I wish you well with your diagnosis whatever it turns out to be.

I didn’t know that I actually had the buzzing until talking to Gel3000 today and she said what it was don’t know what I thought it was doh. I have my mobile on vibrate only in work in a front pocket over lower abdo and am constantly thinking it’s gone off some days. Think because it was so fleeting I never thought of it as buzzing Axx

When I was in hospital I described it to my boss as like the vibrating of a mobile phone :slight_smile: