Breathing

Hello everyone,

Does anyone here, find that there breathing is affected, Iv’e felt increasingly more breathless even when I’m doing nothing much, at the moment talking seems to wear me out and i feel is affecting my voice like i’m breathless mid conversation and my voice is strained, I feel a bit panicky over this…Also having a sad day my commode came the ot brought it…I hate it! , i’m going to get a huge throw and a cushion so that it just looks like a bedside chair

Michelle x

LOL my commode is my bedside table and when I am in bed and visitors come I make them clear it off and sit on my throne. My reflux causes me to be breathless and a mothfull of Peptac works for me when it hits.

COLD VERY WET AND BLOWY here in Margate Capitals used intentionally XXX Don

Hello Michelle.

I didn’t notice the breathlessness until someone at work pointed it out about five years ago. All I’d done was change tables! Now it’s after any steps. My voice is still the same however but some swallowing can be difficult.

There’s no commode in our house yet-but it’s not a very big house being a level flat. For a lot of the time our family home in Wallasey had a commode for my disabled nan followed by my mum. It’s still there next to the bed in the spare room, mocking me as I sleep!

Very blowy and wet in East Sussex today.

Hang on to your hats, Steve.

1 Like

Hi Michelle

I do find conversation really tires me, really hard for me as I love a natter, and yes can make you feel like you need to take deep breaths.

This then can make you feel panicky, but that in itself makes you more breathless. I know it is easier said than done, but when that happens try to take long slow breaths, which will slow your breathing down, and make it easier.

Hope this helps a little.

Pam x

I often get breathless when chatting also my voice appears to have changed. I have never had a nice singing voice but it seems to be much worse lately, I sing songs and nursery rhymes to my Granddaughter and I can’t get a tune however hard I try. I feel it has something to do with the way I breath. Can I blame it on MS? Can I train to breath properly?

Jan x

Thanks Pam,

I’ll try to remember to take the deep breaths…Its probably worse because I do tend to panic.

Michelle x

Thanks Jan,

glad i’m not on my own,

Michelle x

Thanks for your message Steve

Isn’t it sad what happens to us? I bet you have nightmares sleeping next to the commode…I never ever ever thought i’d be needing one, my nan was in her eighties when she had hers and i remember being horrified when my 2 year old son lifted the lid and put his hand in it …yuk!

Michelle x

My voice has really changed Michelle. I sound very croaky. People often notice as ask if I’ve got a cold or something.

Jan… my singing voice has changed so much. Cannot carry a tune at all now and it all sounds so croaky.

I find talking really exhausting… especially on the phone! And yes I can feel very breathless when I feel my energy just seeping away.

Try some mindful breathing exercises. Sit very still. Close your eyes and just concentrate on your breathing. Breath freely. No need to do big breaths. When other thoughts come into your head, gently push them away and return your attention to your breathing.

It’s a very good method of getting rid of stress.

If you are interested in knowing more, google ‘mindfulness’ There’s load of info on the internet about it.

Pat xx

2 Likes

Thanks Don,

I don’t feel so bad now…I could put a table cloth over it and ornaments on it I suppose. lol

Michelle x

1 Like

I get breathless too Michelle, some days it’s worse than others. I’ve always had a lot of chest infections which make me very breathless so in fact I hadn’t really noticed that when the infections cleared the breathlessness didn’t. One day someone asked me if it was MS causing me to be out of breath and it was then I registered I get it a lot. I still don’t know what the cause is but sometimes even trying to turn over in bed can leave me gasping for breath. I do think it’s worth you getting your chest checked out next time you see your Dr.

take care,

Nina x

2 Likes

i do the mindfulness for health,Pat, i was doing the 8 week course,i got the book from amazon,its really good,but i stopped at week 4,due to me loosing concentration,it was really helping with my stress,so for now i am just doing the breathing,and maybe continue the course at a later date,i find i dont get as stressed now,if i do i just concentrate on the breath,it really does work doesnt it ?

J x

2 Likes

I did wonder if going to a voice coach would help with breathing, I believe most of us breathe from the chest and we should breath from the diaphragm (someone correct me if I’m wrong). I’ll google it later

Jan x

1 Like

You’re right Jan, if you lie on your back and put your hands on your tummy, when you breathe in your tummy rises and back down when you breathe out. If that happens you are breathing correctly through your diaphragm.

That’s how they described it to me in hospital, have a good day everyone.

Pam x

1 Like

I find it very useful… esp when I feel panicky. I sometimes get that feeling just as I’m going to sleep & if I concentrate on my breathing it helps enormously.

Actually I often find it useful to get to sleep… you know when your mind is jumping around all over the place? If I concentrate on my breathing it can sometimes (not always) send me off to sleep.

Glad it helps you too J.

Pat xx

2 Likes

I am in bed breathing now and watching my tummy

3 Likes

I do everything I can NOT to look at my tummy Don!

Nina x

3 Likes

Me too Nina!!!

Pat xx

2 Likes