Blurred and Double Vision

Hi.

For the last year I have been getting blurred vison and double vision in both eyes. It has been getting increasingly worse over the year. It starts as soon as I am doing any close work or watching tv. My glass prescription is up to date. I have had my eyes checked at the eye hospital, including an eye scan, but they cannot find anything wrong. I was told it is fatigue causing the problem.

Does anyone else get this problem and it did not show up any problems when tested.

Thanks.

Hi Mia

i am also suffering this and have just posted about it get a 2nd opion i left it to late it is called nuclear opthalmopgiea check my thread on asking question’s in geberal discussion. This is common in ms i have been told today by opthalmolgy consultant, my prescription glasses have not changed either this is why i have asked fellow member’s to explain in simple term’s what it is the leaflet the hospital gave confused the heck of out me. I am happy it is not just me, Mia are your lesions on your optic nerves my reason for asking is mine are on the nerves optic and this is were the most damaged is being caused the rest is like a ripple effect. Please pm if you want and keep us updated

Hazexx

I have had this problem for several years and it was never noted by my GP. It was confirmed by an Ophthalmologist that it is Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia. It is horrible and depending on which eye is affected it can cause problems with balance, well with me anyway. My left eye is mainly affected and when the Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia is active I’ve noticed I quickly go of balance to the left side and it wasn’t for the walking aid I would have hurt myself on many occasions.

Hope your symptoms settle down and the neurologist or opthalmologists can help you out.

M

Hi

I have seen an opthalmologist and eye consultant. They say they cannot see any nerve damage and that the MS fatigue is causing my eyes to be blurred and double vision. They say to rest my eyes and not do too much close work such as reading. So not much help there. I have had SPMS for 18 years but my eyes have only been a problem for about a year. Thanks for your replies.

Hi

I got referred to an ophthalmologist a few years ago when I was getting double vision. She gave me some eye exercises to build up the strength of my eye muscles and they sorted it out for me.

The two main ones I did would be easy for you to try. The first one involved a strip of card about 9 inches long with a line down the middle and a dot on it every inch & a half or so. I had to hold the card horizontally under my nose so that it pointed away fromme, parallel to the ground. I would have to look at the dot furthest away and try and make it so that I saw just one dot. When I’d done that I’d look away for a few seconds and then do the same thing with the next nearest dot, I’d have to repeat this for each dot until I couldn’t do it any more.

The other exercise was very similar. I’d hold my my arm straight out in front of me and point my finger up. I’d look at my finger and try to make it so I only saw one finger. Then I’d look away for a few seconds, bring my finger a bit closer to me and then repeat. I’d keep doing this, bringing my finger a bit closer each time.

I’d do these a few times a day. I was warned that I might find the double vision would get worse at first, but that was perfectly normal. It’s just like starting going to the gym for the first time - because the muscles have never been exercised like this before, they’ll naturally be very tired at first. But they’ll start to build up their strength, and then you should start to see an improvement. I only needed to do them for a week or so and I found that I didn’t get the double vision any more.
I hope that helps.

Dan

Hi, yes had it for a few years and recently it’s got worse. Optician can’t find cause for it so he says it’s MS and he’s got other patients with MS who have the same problem.

I think it is linked to fatigue as mine get worse in the evenings when my fatigue is also very bad.

Dan’s exercises look well worth a try.

Pat x