Blue Badge Assesment

Has anyone had a Blue Badge Assesment? I’ve to go for one in a couple of weeks and I’m not looking forward to it after my PIP assesment! I only got standard care and no mobility. We have been warned that we might lose what we had got so shouldn’t appeal but write a strong letter disagreeing with the decision. Anyhoo, I digress, if I lose my blue badge I’m screwed. I’ve had it for 6 years and can’t believe I now have to go for assesment. Even parking my car at work will mean walking potenially miles as I’ll lose my permit! The stress of PIP and this is making health a whole lot worse.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

E.

I got standard on both have you done a reconsideration to get what you deserve I got ablue badge no assessment but you only need standard care for the blue badge I’m sure of that.

Hi,

I too have had a difficult time with PIP. After many months of waiting for assessments etc I finally found out that I had received no points for either care or mobility. After taking advice from a gentleman called ‘Flymo’ on the youreadable forum for disability and benefits I wrote a full description of how my disabilities affected me and what the assessor had probably misunderstood or I had not made clear. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration using the letter as evidence as well as any medical proof I had. I then received 19 points for care and 16 points for mobility giving me the enhanced rate for both.

It is true that if you ask for a mandatory reconsideration they look at the award as a whole and not just the part you disagree with, however it is extremely rare for them to take away those points you have already received as you must have fitted the criteria to have received them but it is possible. The other thing is you must tell them within four weeks of the award. This can be done by phone and then requesting more time to put together your evidence. If the four weeks have already passed then you must have a ‘good’ reason which is quite difficult to prove.

Sorry but you do need the mobility part of the PIP award to automatically renew your blue badge and it must be under the descriptor ‘moving around’ and not the ‘planning a journey’. Eight points [standard rate] in the first descriptor would be enough.

Hope this helps

Is good enough reason not diagnosed or change of circumstance for not being diagnosed as I can’t walk far at all house bound at the moment.

Hi Alysea,

Not an expert but from the research I have completed you would have to prove that due to your illness or circumstance that you would have been unable to pick up the phone and request a mandatory reconsideration. I know it is all unfair that a strict time limit is placed on ill people yet there is no time limit for the decision to be made.

It is just my personal opinion but if nuttyp had already a blue badge then I would believe that there would be sufficient evidence for the mobility element of PIP unless there had been a change in his condition.

Hi Alysea,

Not an expert but from the research I have completed you would have to prove that due to your illness or circumstance that you would have been unable to pick up the phone and request a mandatory reconsideration. I know it is all unfair that a strict time limit is placed on ill people yet there is no time limit for the decision to be made.

It is just my personal opinion but if nuttyp had already a blue badge then I would believe that there would be sufficient evidence for the mobility element of PIP unless there had been a change in his condition.

I already won standard and esa wrag on reconsideration since awarded my illness has gotten worse i would have been dx a year ago if i had a decent doc on the way with new one now though my esa advisor thinks i should be in support group and get enhanced awards consideration i can’t walk that far so onlt option is a late appeal.

I got all this without them even knowing my condition cause at the time i had no idea what was wrong with me cause a year and half ago i was in perfect health all they had down was minor artharitis.